Portis going to court

OMMF

WASHINGTON (AP) - Big-time sports has come this: Two former NFL teammates are on the verge of going to court to settle a dispute over a jersey number.

A crude, one-paragraph contract has led to Ifeanyi Ohalete, plaintiff, vs. Clinton Portis, defendant, on the docket for civil trial Tuesday in a district court in Maryland. Simply put: Ohalete wants the $20,000 he feels he is owed for giving Portis the jersey No. 26 when both were members of the Washington Redskins a year ago.

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/news_story.asp?ID=127149

''I think he's crazy,'' Portis told Sirius NFL Radio after the suit was filed in late December. ''How could you request something when you got cut, but I would have had the number anyway. I think he's crazy, so I guess we'll be in court together.''

I agree. If he got cut, and the fact that Portis is a star, then Portis shouldn't have to pay. But then again, he makes millions, so it's not like 200,000 would put him back THAT much.

''I think he's crazy,'' Portis told Sirius NFL Radio after the suit was filed in late December. ''How could you request something when you got cut, but I would have had the number anyway. I think he's crazy, so I guess we'll be in court together.''

I agree. If he got cut, and the fact that Portis is a star, then Portis shouldn't have to pay. But then again, he makes millions, so it's not like 200,000 would put him back THAT much.

Regardless of if he is a star or not, or Ohalete later got cut, it sounds like a binding deal. Just another example of an athlete thinking rules don't apply to them.

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

Regardless of if he is a star or not, or Ohalete later got cut, it sounds like a binding deal. Just another example of an athlete thinking rules don't apply to them.

Agreed. It would be different if the contract included a waiver clause, or if it was written to take effect Week 1 of teh regular season. But teh way I'm reading this, the number was turned over immediately for an agreed upon price, and Portis was to pay up in installments.

In a sense, Ohalete extended Portis a line of credit. He has to pay up.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

Are you kidding me this is a joke, Portis made the agreement he shoudl stil have to pay I assume he wore 26 in training camp so this Ifeanyi Ohalete had to wear a different number then so it still counts Portis shoudl just pay and get it over with.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Settled

Just one day shy of going to court to settle their digital dispute, the numbers nuttiness between former Washington Redskins teammates has been resolved.

Redskins tailback Clinton Portis on Monday agreed to pay former Washington safety Ifeanyi Ohalete $18,000 of the $20,000 that the latter claimed he was owed for giving uniform No. 26 to Portis a year ago. The settlement brought the tab in the case, not including attorneys fees, to $38,000.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor...TC-DT9705204233

John Kruk was asked about trading numbers during an interview on Cold Pizza(ESPN). He gave Mitch Williams #28 for 2 cases of beer. Kruk did not care about the number, just wanted Williams on the team for the pennant run. The reason Wiliiams wanted the number was his wife had a bunch jewelry with #28 on it and he did not want to have to replace it.

RobbyBox2.jpg

Archived