Tank stumper 7/20/03

NJTank

This is a kinda weird one coz thats not an official name I believe, just a description of what it is! A jug that would have been used to pour claret wine from at formal dinners!

However it is one of the most traditional and classic looking sporting trophies around!

Originally the prize at the Open was a belt! Maybe someone had the idea that if you won all the Golfing majors you would eventually have a whole outfit! (Jacket from the Masters, belt from the Open, Trousers (oops sorry pants) from the US Open and Shirt from the PGA??

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

saintsfan69

Posted on July 20 2003,08:08

This is a kinda weird one coz thats not an official name I believe, just a description of what it is! A jug that would have been used to pour claret wine from at formal dinners!

However it is one of the most traditional and classic looking sporting trophies around!

Originally the prize at the Open was a belt! Maybe someone had the idea that if you won all the Golfing majors you would eventually have a whole outfit! (Jacket from the Masters, belt from the Open, Trousers (oops sorry pants) from the US Open and Shirt from the PGA??

What? No underwear? No shoes? Wow, the original prize was belt? So did someone say, "The winner and the undisputed British Open Champion.........."

I saw, I came, I left.

Everyone knows all the best golfers go commando!

Dunno about the shoes though! Maybe they assumed people wouldn't wear shoes playing golf in the old days! After all sand is hell to get out of shoes!!

OT What a nice bloke Ben Curtis seems! Can't think of anyone I would have preferred to win the old Claret Jug!!

PS here is a (small) picture of Young Tom Morris sporting that open belt!!

(C/P)

http://uk.geocities.com/mark_gray74/openbelt.jpg

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Archived