The Glazer era begins in Manchester...

officeglenn

Looks like Malcolm Glazer is endearing himself to no one in Manchester after a newspaper reported that United ticket prices will go up by 54 per cent over the next five years ... TSN.ca

Glazer is offering to buy out all remaining shareholders and hopes to take the club off the stock market by June 22.

The move came on the same day that a British newspaper reported that Glazer plans to raise ticket prices by 54 per cent over the next five years.

The Times of London based its front-page report on ''previously unseen documents'' outlining Glazer's plans to increase revenue at the club.

The paper said the cost of tickets for Champions League games next season would go up by 25 per cent.

The Times also said that Manchester United will stage an exhibition game every year in Tampa, raising two million pounds ($4.6 million Cdn) in revenues.

The price of an average United home game ticket is currently 30 pounds ($68.50 Cdn). Under Glazer's plans, that would increase to 46 pounds ($105.72 Cdn) by 2010, the Times said.

The 2010 prices would still be just below the current cost for a ticket at Chelsea, the most expensive in the league.

But Man United fans' groups, which have fiercely opposed Glazer's takeover, said the prices will be out of their reach.

It's interesting to point out that Chelsea has a higher ticket price average, but of course they play in a smaller venue. Did Chelsea's owner pay for the club with his own money or was some of that borrowed?

Another thing worth noting is that Malcom Glazer put three sons on the board of governors. Ego?

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived