Russell loses mlb uni contract

CubsFanBudMan

This just in on the AP wire:

ALEXANDER CITY, Ala. (AP)  Russell Corp. will not provide uniforms to major league baseball teams after 2004, having lost its bid for the contract to Majestic Athletic.

Majestic, based in Pennsylvania, will be the sole supplier of uniforms worn by the 30 teams after the 2004 season, the league said Tuesday. Russell has a contract to make uniforms for 15 teams through 2004; Majestic has the contract for the other 15.

"We made what we thought was an exceptional offer," Russell spokeswoman Nancy Young told The Birmingham News. "It would not have been sound business to increase it."

Sales of apparel with major league baseball logos, which Russell will lose as a result of the deal, account for only 1 percent of company sales, Young said.

But Russell sells thousands of youth and high school baseball uniforms and can no longer bill itself as official supplier of uniforms to the sport's greatest players.

Russell supplies uniforms to 180 NCAA Division I teams. Its subsidiary, Spalding, also provides game balls to volleyball and basketball leagues.

Russell has been concentrating on acquiring sporting goods and athletic apparel makers as rivals have offered to pay more for the right to supply game uniforms and sell replicas.

I knew that the Lions still suited up in Russell guernseys, but I thought that Hawthorne had made the switch to Puma. I've got friends in Australia who barrack for the Hawks anmd I know for a fact that Puma is providing Hawthorne with both their pre-season and Heritage guernseys this season.

Brian in Boston

I knew that the Lions still suited up in Russell guernseys, but I thought that Hawthorne had made the switch to Puma.

Hawthorn are indeed wearing Puma.

Russell now supplies Brisbane, North Melbourne, Adelaide and Fremantle.

I knew that the Lions still suited up in Russell guernseys, but I thought that Hawthorne had made the switch to Puma.

Hawthorn are indeed wearing Puma.

Russell now supplies Brisbane, North Melbourne, Adelaide and Fremantle.

Actually I knew that Hawthorn wore Puma :D (as well as Essendon, West Coast and Sydney) ... I just wanted point out that FUBU actually makes clothes for some AFL clubs. Check out Melbourne's shop as well....

Shame that Russell doesn't make MLB uniforms anymore. I really like their logo. I hate Majestic's logo.

I saw, I came, I left.

I, for one, do not care for Majestic Athletic products.  I remember their chincey replica jerseys from the last few years and that's all I can think of when I see their authentics.  I went so far as to seek out for purchase Rawlings authentics for my two favorite teams, the D'Backs and A's, once it was announce that Majestic would be taking over as their uniform suppliers.

I've compared my Rawling's D'Backs jersey to the authentic Majestic jersey on sale in the Arizona team shop.  I think the quality of the Majestic jersey is a cut below that of the Rawlings.

Seeing MLB outfitted in 100% Majestic unis disappoints me.

As a collector of game worn baseball jerseys, I would rank the suppliers thusly:

Rawlings: best tagging of the bunch. Very consistent quality of logos and stitching.

Russell: tagging not as good as Rawlings, but solid quality otherwise.

Majestic: inconsistent as hell! lousy, minimalist tagging! They've had the Orioles since 2000, and the quality of the Orioles script seriously declined starting in mid-2000...also, they have used three different grades of fabric in four years!

Down with Majestic! Up with Rawlings! :angry:

Archived