Questions.

Howie_16

I have noticed some non-profit school and youth sports organizations have made use of professional team logos.

My questions are:

1. How do they go about getting permission to use the logo in the first place?

2. What could happen if they have not asked permission?

3. Are most teams willing to give these types of organizations permission to use their logo?

4. What happens if the team in question no longer exists? What if the league they played in no longer exists?

Thanks in advance!

I have noticed some non-profit school and youth sports organizations have made use of professional team logos.

My questions are:

1. How do they go about getting permission to use the logo in the first place?

2. What could happen if they have not asked permission?

3. Are most teams willing to give these types of organizations permission to use their logo?

4. What happens if the team in question no longer exists? What if the league they played in no longer exists?

Thanks in advance!

1. I'm sure nobody really does

2. Its non-profit, i'm sure the logo owners dont care so much

3. same as previous answer, its non profit, so its mostly harmless. Although I think there have been a few excceptions of teams taking action.

4. If its not copywrite protected still, then its probably fair game, but I think teams still protect the old logos these days.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

For youth groups, high schools and non-profits, it's not very likely that the teams are making money from merchandise with the "stolen" logos. Unless it's Lebron's high school, you don't see high school football jerseys on sale at Sports Authority. Those schools tend to use those logos for the entire athletic department instead of one individual sport. Since any profit is just going back into the school or organization, I don't think the professional and collegiate licensing people are cracking down on them. No individual is doing this to make money for themselves.

I've seen high school football teams with hockey logos (Bridgeport Sound Tigers), NFL (Green Bay, San Francisco), NCAA (Florida State), etc. There's so much out there it's hard for the licensing people to keep track of it all, and unless it's an attempt to defraud the original owner, it will continue as such.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Archived