HELP is this Real?

rmackman

I saw this on E-Bay and it looks real but the only thing that throws me off is the 3 in the #13 looks a little more curved than the ones the Dolphins used when they had screen printed numbers back in 1993. Should I buy this jersey?

21_1_b.JPG

99_1_b.JPG

18_1_b.JPG

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

the jersey itself looks real, that nameplate was added by someone else. I think most authentic jersey's in the 80's and early 90's did not have names or nameplates. I had an authentic pro bowl jersey from 83 with similar tagging as yours but no nameplate. Nice looking jersey but a cruddy job on that nameplate. If it isn't too expensive go ahead and get it.

skinsboys4lf7pe.jpg

It's going for like $40 right now so thats about as much as a replica goes for. I guess you could say that this jersey is at least better than a current replica.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

The jersey looks to be authentic, the numbering is not. The numbers should be a Varsity Block, not a standard Block, and those are heat-pressed, not screened. That is consistent with what was being sold under the "Pro Line" banner in the late 80's - early 90's.

The numbers are definately not authentic. The NFL markted authentic jerseys with names / numbers in the early 90's, and they featured that style name / number for every team (except maybe the bears.) Everyone used to come to school in their "authentic" Eagles jersey, and I used to burst their bubbles by pointing out the numbering differences. Authentic jerseys that you could buy in retail stores generally had the real numbers, but came nameless. I have an authentic Seth Joyner jersey from this era, but when I got the name put on, the idiots used twill letters on a twill nameplate, which is just horribly inacurate. Also, many authentic jerseys from this era didn't have side gussets, or the manufacturer logo in the correct spot on the sleeve. My Eagles jersey has the "R" below the bird, not above it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

It's not real, but for $40, help yourself.

The name and numbers are dead giveaways that something just ain't right.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

The guy told me he got it from EASTBAY back in the 90s. Strange that Eastby would do that.

spacer.png

The guy told me he got it from EASTBAY back in the 90s. Strange that Eastby would do that.

That may indeed be true. Like I said, when NFL Pro-Line was getting started, if you ordered a jersey through NFL (who may have been going through EastBay) you got an authentic jersey with generic heat-pressed name / numbers (unless you got it in a retail store). The seller probably (and understandibly) honestly believes it is authentic. He's not really in the wrong here, NFL pro-line is (was.)

Another interesting fact: Back in the day when Wilson, Russel, Apex, Starter, etc. were making jerseys, you could buy Authentic Wilson jerseys of teams that wore Russel, and vice-versa. It was interesting to see the manufacturing differences between the various companies. I always thought that the Eagles Wilson authentics looked way better than the Russel versions, but they wore Russel on the field so that's what I got.

Another interesting fact: When they first started selling authentics, they averaged between $60 - $85.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Okay so if I buy this jersey I can say that I technically have an authentic jersey just not an on-field authentic jersey. That's not so bad for the money though, and considering it's Dan Marino of all people it's worth it.

spacer.png

Okay so if I buy this jersey I can say that I technically have an authentic jersey just not an on-field authentic jersey.

Exactly.

Personally, I wouldn't buy it (the numbers thing means a lot to me) but it should still be a good quality jersey, and the price is right.

So this guy outbid me for the jersey by $1 in the FINAL second. I mean the LAST second because I tried to rebid and I couldn't. He sent me an e-mail that he had won and let me know he'll resell it to me for lets just say a substantially higher price otherwise he was going to list it in his E-Bay store. I told him he's a money grubbing schmuck who wouldn't care about a real jersey collector. Hopefully another Marino jersey comes my way like that some day. Oh well. :cry::down:

spacer.png

Archived