Real or fake? Help is appreciated

Andy

There is the new NHL Vintage logo on there. And if I remember correctly, that has only been around for two years. Also it says replica jersey, not game worn or pro style jersey. I'm sure you can find that same jersey at River City Sports. Infact, here's the jersey only with out the numbers on there.

penguins

So by 'new' you mean the current logo? Yes, but the yellow is now closer to gold.

It is one of CCM's modern reproductions of vintage jerseys, so it isn't technically an 80's jersey.

However, it is a pretty poor reproduction of the jersey. Some things that jump out right away:

The Pens jerseys of that era had heat pressed numbers, not twill numbers. The numbers were not standard block, as the inside of the "6"s weren't squared (they had slants in the corners.) I'm not sure what the technical term is for this. The "1"s (not that there are any on this jersey, but FYI) were rounded at the top of the 1, instead of the standard diagonal slant.

Also, the crest doesn't look right. I don't remember the yellow being so mis-matched.

I only know these things because I have a real CCM jersey from this era, and even though I was 8 at the time, I wouldn't get it lettered / numbered because I knew the differences and couldn't find a shop that could get it right.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived