Royal Blue for Colts this year?

Gmac1018

Oh man, the first two years of the USFL was like Christmas for teenaged logo and uni freaks like myself. Eighteen totally new helmets, uniforms and logos in a 15 month span. It was awesome, to borrow an era-appropriate term. And the only thing I didn't get was why the Stars used a white mask when a red one would have made much more sense.

I was bummed that the Panthers started out wearing Gray masks with their Champagne Silver helmets...they went to Royal Plum masks in 1984, but then went away (actually, merged with Oakland) in 1985...

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was like that with the USFL as well. I remember the blank stares I used to receive when I asked other USFL-watching friends what uniform the teams they saw wore in the game. Their attitude was 'who cares.'

Oh man, the first two years of the USFL was like Christmas for teenaged logo and uni freaks like myself. Eighteen totally new helmets, uniforms and logos in a 15 month span. It was awesome, to borrow an era-appropriate term. And the only thing I didn't get was why the Stars used a white mask when a red one would have made much more sense.

My guess is if they used a red facemask they would have looked too much like the Birmingham Stallions. I think the USFL had some of the best unis ever: Panthers, Bandits, Invaders, Wranglers, Gold, Stallions, Bulls, '84 Federals. The only thing I didn't like is there seemed to be too much red and silver...the Showboats being the worst.

Hey PANTONE, can you post more stuff from the NFL Style Guides here? That would be cool.

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

A few years ago, Notre Dame wore Navy Blue masks in a bowl game.  I wish like heck I had pictures; I know most people are going to doubt me here (especially the newer members!), but it happened.

I think this is the only picture that was taken at the 1984 Aloha Bowl:

1984ab9yw.jpg

I can't find anything else. :mad:

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Archived