Royal Blue for Colts this year?

Gmac1018

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

last season they darkened the blue, added stripes to the socks and switched to black cleats.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

This comes up a lot, so I thought I'd show all of the differences over the years:

IndianapolisColts_RoyalBlueCompare.jpg

As far as I know, the shade of Royal Blue that was used from 1984 through 1996 was what the Colts wore for a large portion of their time in Baltimore.

I still don't understand the switch to the grey facemasks...those were worn by the BALTIMORE Colts. One would think they would want a new identity and have no association with the old city...especially after 21 friggin' seasons. <_<

They've never been to the Super Bowl with blue facemasks.

They've also never been to the Super Bowl without Johnny Unitas and Earl Morrall on their roster. And they've never been to the Super Bowl without having their home games in Baltimore's Memorial Stadium with Chuck Thompson as their announcer. The point is ...?

Packers-2.png

They've also never been to the Super Bowl without Johnny Unitas and Earl Morrall on their roster. And they've never been to the Super Bowl without having their home games in Baltimore's Memorial Stadium with Chuck Thompson as their announcer. The point is ...?

The team can't suit up Johnny and Earl, Chuck's going to be pretty quiet in the booth, and the Colts ain't moving back to Baltimore ... they could, however, switch the facemasks.

The point is, the team went retro and tried to bring back the glory years of the franchise, and that included grey facemasks.

This is where I start to think the opponents of retro have a point. Gray isn't now an official Colts color that I'm aware of. Gray facemasks don't look inappropriate for the Cowboys or Raiders since silver is one of their colors. But if gray isn't one of your colors (are you paying attention, USC?), it shouldn't be part of your uniform, including the facemasks.

Packers-2.png

The point is, the team went retro and tried to bring back the glory years of the franchise, and that included grey facemasks.

So does that mean that the Titans will switch to the 1961 Oilers uniforms when they go through another ten years of losing seasons, trying to recapture the glory? I know that won't happen, but the fact is the league shouldn't allow the Colts to do this since they were in a different city altogether when they were good.

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

I can't believe someone would actually think the USC grey facemask isn't the best possible color for that helmet. The grey helps bring out the color in the rest of the uni, just like black shoes. You have to take into account the history of the game and understand that grey simply looks fantastic for USC, Alabama, the Colts, and all other teams who choose to go with this classic look.

I don't think the Colts are trying to rekindle anything from Baltimore, they simply have great football people (rather than marketing people) making the calls on the uniforms. It's a classic look, period. Facemasks, shoes, baseball bats, and baseball gloves are among the pieces of equipment that look better if they do not stray from their classic colors.

So does that mean that the Titans will switch to the 1961 Oilers uniforms when they go through another ten years of losing seasons, trying to recapture the glory? I know that won't happen, but the fact is the league shouldn't allow the Colts to do this since they were in a different city altogether when they were good.

Ya, 'cause the Colts, one of what, two teams to make the playoffs three years in a row and five out of six, with a 34-14 record the past three years, two division titles, two MVPs, and recognition by ESPN, ESPN SportsNation, USAToday, SI, and others as being in the top five best franchises in the NFL, are doing so bad that they need to harken back the Baltimore days??? What are you talking about?

Archived