pirates logo

iccomics

He looks like Stuart the Friendly Pirate.

The eyes are rounded, which if you make your eyes look rounded, go look in a mirror, see what I mean; it's just not a scary look.

Which pirates generally are.

It's all the more important as it's the central part of the drawing.

Like any drawing, you look at the middle.

See the skull on the one below, the eye sockets, which probably don't look like that in reality, are narrowed, like when you furrow your brow. Say, when you're annoyed with someone.

PearlRiverPirate.jpg

This is what yours looks like if you delete your eyes, and cut and paste the eyes from mine in place of them.

The shape of the skull is in two part, round bit at the top and jawline.

You don't have a jaw.

Your teeth are, once again, making him smiling like he's your friend.

Teeth on angry pirate below are missing in some places, and crooked in others.

Apparently pirates were well known for poor dental hygiene.

Don't take these suggestions the wrong way, your pirate was a pretty good start, but I just noticed those few things.

Pearl-River-Pirates.gif

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

ICC: great idea, but there are some things that need some retooling.

1. The skull shares an outline with the bones behind it. With such a thick outline to the overall logo, there needs to be some separation between the skull and the bones.

2. The logo is predominantly bold, thick lines. But the lines for the teeth and the mouth are much finer. Very disjointed.

3. The smile is too wide, and the mandible (lower jaw) is far too thin. The mandible can be disarticulated from the rest of the skull and should be represented as a separate piece. The rest of the skull is actually made up of numerous small bones, and these bones are fused together, whereas yours is a less detailed, one-piece skull.

4. Ears are cartilage, and would not exist on a skull that's just bones. The 3 ear bones are located within the ear canal, which is a hole in the skull. Thus, no earring.

Your font is killer - that would look great with any pirate/buccaneer concept. This could be a nice concept, but there are a lot of basic changes that should be made to clean this up.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

It's a good idea--but if you can't see why he chose rmereds instead of yours then you should see your eye doctor right away.

you can't make up parts of anatomy--like an ear bone.

the mouth looks goofy--similar to something I would do if I were trying to make a joke that involved creating a bad logo.

The skull outline and the bandana are good, but...

You should get yourself another program to use if you expect people to use your future designs. There's some free one floating around here on the boards--I can't remember the name of it though. I use Illustrator and Photoshop.

BTW Awesome job, rmered--I really like the double outline on it all. Makes it smoothe as vermooth(e).

The below to be updated once the newest banner is raised!
spacer.png

You have a pirate in your sig...why didn't you just use that as a reference? Not copy it, just use it as a guide for your design.

I give you credit for trying, especially since you're 14 or something, but it's too cartoony. Which may be a complement because of your comics background :D. VD, as he often does, clearly articulated some great points that will go a long way in helping you strengthen your design.

Anyway, here's a link for, Inkscape, a freeware vector graphics program with capabilities similar to Illustrator and CorelDraw. (Damn, I sound like a commercial :D)

There are lots of other programs out there, too. I use Flash, but I wouldn't advise anyone to do so...I'm just so used to it.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Sorry if my post sounded a little harsh--it just sounded like you were sore that the fellow didn't use yours. Again, the bandana's a great idea, and the crossbones were executed very well. The execution is probably better than I could do on a program such as Paint.

The below to be updated once the newest banner is raised!
spacer.png

ICC: great idea, but there are some things that need some retooling.

1. The skull shares an outline with the bones behind it. With such a thick outline to the overall logo, there needs to be some separation between the skull and the bones.

2. The logo is predominantly bold, thick lines. But the lines for the teeth and the mouth are much finer. Very disjointed.

3. The smile is too wide, and the mandible (lower jaw) is far too thin. The mandible can be disarticulated from the rest of the skull and should be represented as a separate piece. The rest of the skull is actually made up of numerous small bones, and these bones are fused together, whereas yours is a less detailed, one-piece skull.

4. Ears are cartilage, and would not exist on a skull that's just bones. The 3 ear bones are located within the ear canal, which is a hole in the skull. Thus, no earring.

Your font is killer - that would look great with any pirate/buccaneer concept. This could be a nice concept, but there are a lot of basic changes that should be made to clean this up.

Excellent points Vit D.

Though I don't know if you'd bother doing all the different bones that make up a skull when most people think it's one large skull bone and a lower jaw bone.

I'd also add that the bones and the skull need to be identifiable as two seperate things. Icco's has no defined line between where the bones stop and the skull starts.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

Archived