The Yankees are in 1st place...for now

Jigga

Between NY and Boston, I'd rather see the Yankees take it. I'm an Angels fan, and no, last year's playoffs didn't leave bitterness towards the Sox...I saw that coming a mile away. The only reason I liked seeing Boston win is that I don't have to hear anything about a curse. Didn't some other team in that area win a few championships recently? In Philadelphia, however, we've seen the Eagles choke 4 straight years, the Phillies consistently underacheive, the Sixers...well, who cares?, and the Flyers always seem to blow it come playofftime. I think if there's a cursed city, it's Philly. Whatever, St. Louis(my 2nd fav. team), led by Albert Pujols and my favorite player, Jim Edmonds, will walk all over the AL Champs, even if it has to be my beloved Angels. Plus, the Cards don't have Rolen to go 0-14 or whatever in the Series this year.

Since I started this nonsense, I guess I should answer my own questions. :D

Did the Red Sox choke? Not really. Since August 10 (when the Sox had that 5.5 game lead), Boston has gone 22-17 (.564) while the Yanks have gone 28-11 (.718). It's more that the Yankees have caught fire than the Sox have collapsed. However, choking is a relative term. I think if the Sox miss the playoffs altogether, it wouldn't be wrong to say they choked. Their pitching is a mess and I don't think they can score 8 runs a game to bail them out. I think the Sox are going to be watching the playoffs on TV like the rest of us.

Are the Yankees viable? Hell yeah, they're viable. In the last 6 weeks, they've won almost 72% of their games. Aaron Small and Shawn Chacon are pitching like George and Co. thought Carl Pavano and Jaret Wright would, and Randy Johnson is pitching like Randy Johnson again. Chien Ming Wang is legit, too.

HatCity, you're half right about the O's and Jays still having some sway in who wins the division. The O's have basically given up and with Brian Roberts going down, we're left with two or three players that actually realize the season hasn't ended yet...lol.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

You guys are all making excellent points, but I'm gonna stick to what I've said since the beginning of August. The Red Sox WILL win the AL East and the Indians will win the Wild Card. I'm not saying this because I'm biased against the Yankees, I just think their starting pitching is far too damaged to carry them into the playoffs.

You guys are all making excellent points, but I'm gonna stick to what I've said since the beginning of August. The Red Sox WILL win the AL East and the Indians will win the Wild Card. I'm not saying this because I'm biased against the Yankees, I just think their starting pitching is far too damaged to carry them into the playoffs.

I can see where you're coming from, but from an outsider's view (Mets fan here..don't have any love for either the Yanks or Sox, but I enjoy a good pennant race as much as the next guy..:lol: ) the "damaged pitching" arguement you make against the Yanks holds true for the Sox as well..Small, Chacon, and Wang have all stepped it up as of late for the Yanks..for the Sox, it's been Wakefield who's really answered the call, IMO..Wells, Schilling, Arroyo, & Clement haven't done great as of late....and the bullpen's been just as ugly as the Yanks 'pen has from my view...

To be honest, that final series at Fenway is gonna probably end up being a best-of-3 playoff to determine who wins the East, with the loser more than likely heading home.

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

Ahhh.. resuming our rightful place at the top of the standings. Thanks for keeping the seat warm, Sox.

OH TESTIFY! I hate to tell Boston fans and all anti-Yankee fans that I told you so, but: I TOLD YOU SO!!! :D:lol::woot:

We would NOT be denied our 8th straight AL East Division title.

Now, I'll admit that it's easier to get to first place and tougher to keep it. Now with about a week left in the season, the Yankees have to keep winning themselves and hope the Indians keep winning as well to secure the Wild Card from the Red Sox.

GO YANKEES! GO TRIBE! :D

arodsig.jpg THE TOUGHEST S.O.B. IN THE CCSLC!

Satan Lives! The Devil On Earth Breathes! -Jim Ross about Vince McMahon, WM 22

"THAT WAS THE WORD OF YANKEEMAN"

sterling.jpggodzilla.jpg

26 World Championships and still going strong. Get used to it Red Sox Nation!

"Yankees win! Theeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Yankees win!" -John Sterling after every Yankee win

To Be The Yankees, You Gotta Whoooooooooo!!! beat the Yankees!!!

Now with about a week left in the season, the Yankees have to keep winning themselves and hope the Indians keep winning as well to secure the Wild Card from the Red Sox.

Too bad it'll be the White Sox that'll be in the hunt for the Wild Card at this rate...Tribe's gonna take the Central at this rate.

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

Archived