The Yankees are in 1st place...for now

Jigga

After a season of being counted out, piled on, and left for dead. The New York Yankees are now in first place in the AL East as a result of tonight's action. Coming into tonight a half-game behind the slumping Boston Red Sox, the Yankees knocked off my Baltimore Orioles, while Boston fell to Tampa Bay.

Does this count as a choke by the Red Sox? Are the Yanks a viable playoff threat with Aaron Small and an inconsistent Randy Johnson leading the way?

Discuss...

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I'll answer the questions thusly:

1 - No

2 - Maybe

The last 10 games of the season will tell a lot about both teams' determination to make the postseason. The way Cleveland's playing lately, it's win-or-go-home time for the AL East contenders - only one will likely make the postseason.

And if you want to talk choke, go talk to the other Sox - you know, the ones on the verge of blowing a 15-game division lead...

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Its gonna come down to taht 3 game series in Fenway.

And last year was an anomole. If I had a farm, I'd bet it on the Yankees

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

There's no such thing as a choke when it was only a 5.5 game lead on August 10, over a team with a $208 million payroll. Face it, when you spend that kind of money on players you BETTER FINISH FIRST.

I'm glad the Yankees are back. This time of year wouldn't have been as fun with the Sox and Orioles going after each other. This is how it's supposed to be.

So that being said, Yankees Suck, Giambi is on steroids, Sheffield snorts coke from his Uncle Dwight's personal stash, and Steinbrenner is Satan.

Did I cover everything?

Good.

Onward, to October!

mainescarf.png

Small's going to the Bullpen.

I'd expect to see RJ, Mussina, Chacon, and Wang as the playoff starters.

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

I'm glad the Yankees are back. This time of year wouldn't have been as fun with the Sox and Orioles going after each other. This is how it's supposed to be.

*clears throat*

*does a dance*

somebody pay attention to us :P

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

There's no such thing as a choke when it was only a 5.5 game lead on August 10, over a team with a $208 million payroll. Face it, when you spend that kind of money on players you BETTER FINISH FIRST.

I think with the money the Red Sox are spending, they would be hoping for a first place finish, as well.

Also, I can't wait until there are other teams battling it out for playoff spots. Of course, if the Pirates were one of those teams every year, I'd probably be saying the same thing.

I'm glad the Yankees are back.  This time of year wouldn't have been as fun with the Sox and Orioles going after each other.  This is how it's supposed to be.

*clears throat*

*does a dance*

somebody pay attention to us :P

We've been trying that for years..still doesn't work.

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

I don't speak for democrats, democrats don't speak for me.

1 - No

2 - Maybe

I don't think the Sox will win the Division because they are plagued of injuries. They are playing as they could do...

The Yankees will meet with the greatly rising Indians and the always dangerous A's. So I don't think they (with almost the same Sox's troubles) could win the pennant.

And in the World Series the Cardinals will wait for the AL champs... and crush them. The Cards are playing the best baseball this year not only for the standings.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

To answer the questions posted earlier in the thread...

1-No, it's not a "choke" on the part of the Red Sox...their lead never really got above 5 games during that stretch...the only choke I've seen so far is what the White Sox are doing in the Central.

2-The Yanks have as much chance as anyone in the playoffs if they get there. First though, they have to make it...as do the Red Sox. And, I wouldn't be overlooking the O's and Jays..they're going to have quite a large say as to who gets there and who doesn't (especially the Jays, who've played both teams tough this season...they're in the Bronx this weekend, then they go right up 95 to the Fens for 4 before the big series to end the season)...

The Halos, Tribe, and South Siders are gonna have a big say as well...I'm not discounting Oakland, but yesterday's disasterous loss to the Twins while the Halos AND Tribe won hurt them big time..right now, Oakland's lone shot is winning the West...it's doable, but I'm not sure if they can.

Personally, I can see any of the above teams (Yanks, Red Sox, Angels, White Sox, Indians, or A's) winning the AL pennant (it's not the NL, which is becoming the Cardinals Invitational..sorry, I don't think any of the other teams (Braves, Pads, Astros, or Phils) have a shot against the Redbirds this season)...if I had to pick though, I'd probably say Indians.

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

Archived