Mara patch

brinkeguthrie

Hmm. I'd say that Wellington Mara was as well-known an owner as Jerry Jones or Art Rooney among football fans. His nickname was only on the official football in the 1960s, after all.

I liked the tribute. There, but didn't overwhelm the uniform. Diginified. Classy. Just like the man.

Hmm. I'd say that Wellington Mara was as well-known an owner as Jerry Jones or Art Rooney among football fans. His nickname was only on the official football in the 1960s, after all.

I liked the tribute. There, but didn't overwhelm the uniform. Diginified. Classy. Just like the man.

Depends on era and location.

I'm 17 and have been a football fan since I was old enough to truly understand (which coincided perfectly with the Rams coming to town).

Two owners that first come to my head are Jerry Jones and Al Davis.

From everything I hear, Mara should be the more prominent one, but he's not...honestly, I had never heard his name until he died...or atleast had never recognized it meaning anything.

Hmm. I'd say that Wellington Mara was a well-known an owner to the older generation of the football fans like my father and grandfather.

I'm in my 20's and have been GIANTS fan/season ticket owner ever since I was born because of my grandfather and father.

I think Mr. Mara wanted to to keep the focus on his players and not draw attention to himself which i believe was an excellent move but I am bias.

I believe in the prior posting Jerry Jones and Al Davis are the focal points of the respective franchises that is why they are well know and well Mr. Mara would rather keep the focus on the players and the coaches not himself .

GIANTS FANS will never forget you Mr. Mara & thank you for everything you have done for the NFL & the New York Football GIANTS.

RIP: Wellington T. Mara (1916-2005)

:flagusa:

I'm 17 and have been a football fan since I was old enough to truly understand (which coincided perfectly with the Rams coming to town).

From everything I hear, Mara should be the more prominent one, but he's not...honestly, I had never heard his name until he died...or atleast had never recognized it meaning anything.

That's because Mara was dignified, worked for the betterment of the league, and was more interested in promoting football than his own image. Unfortunately, those traits won't get you any air time on ESPN, not when there are idiots to be glorified.

(Oh, and you have my sympathies for having Georgia Frontiere. Every time I think of some of the idiots who own NFL teams, I thank whatever gods may be that I'm in Green Bay.)

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

Depends on era and location.

I grew up in Wisconsin in the 1970s, and I had heard a lot about Mara before moving to NYC. Didn't anybody else ever wonder why the football said "DUKE" in the 60s?

I agree that he wasn't showy, didn't make himself the center of attention like those jerks Davis and Jones. He was a classy guy, who cared more for the advancement of the league than self-promotion.

It could be argued that Mara is the single most influential figure in the NFL's history. Not only did he push for the revenue-sharing model that made the NFL the country's number one sport, but when the Packers and Cowboys were looking for head coaches, Mara recommended his offensive and defensive coordinators, respectively. :D

Archived