NCAA Playoffs

rockchalk

Okay, my two favorite scenarios, both 16 team tournaments, both start two weeks after the conference title games, to even up with the academic schedules of most schools, December 17 this year, (only missing 2 days at most), so that isn't an excuse. Opening round games played at home of highest seed, last 3 rounds played at bowl sites. (By the way, got both scenarios from the "Sports Fans of America" website.)

Plan 1-Best for parity and possibility of major March-style upsets, all 11 conference champions have automatic berths, with 5 at-large bids. (Also all champions are if the season ended today and seedings done completely arbitrarily by myself.)

Pac-10 USC

Big 10 Penn State

Big 12 Texas

C-USA UTEP

MWC TCU

WAC Fresno State

MAC Toledo

Sun Belt UL-Monroe

ACC Miami

SEC LSU

Big East West Virginia

At-Large-Notre Dame, Alabama, Virginia Tech, Ohio State, Georgia

1USC vs. 16UL-Monroe

8Virginia Tech vs. 9TCU

Winners play 12/24 @ Fiesta Bowl

3Miami vs. 14UTEP

5Penn State vs. 12Fresno State

Winners play 12/25 @ Peach Bowl

4LSU vs. 13West Virginia

6Georgia vs. 11Notre Dame

Winners play 12/24 @ Gator Bowl

7Alabama vs. 10Ohio State

2Texas vs. 15Toledo

Winners play 12/25 @ Cotton Bowl

Semi-Final sites would be the Sugar and Orange Bowls the second weekend of January, Championship Game at the Rose Bowl the week before the Super Bowl.

Scenario 2-same sites and timetable, using top 16 BCS and seed accordingly.

I've decided to give up hope for all sports teams I follow

Scenario 1 is a terrible idea. Those are clearly not the best 16 teams in the country. It should be he top 16 teams in a human poll, either AP or USA Today, not the BCS. You are seeded by your rank in the poll. This way, only undefeated or MAYBE 1-loss mid-major teams can get in, which is how it should be. They really have no business getting in a playoff like this over some better major conference teams who may not have won their conference championship.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Scenario 1 is a terrible idea. Those are clearly not the best 16 teams in the country. It should be he top 16 teams in a human poll, either AP or USA Today, not the BCS. You are seeded by your rank in the poll. This way, only undefeated or MAYBE 1-loss mid-major teams can get in, which is how it should be. They really have no business getting in a playoff like this over some better major conference teams who may not have won their conference championship.

First of all, you're right about the seedings, I would abolish the BCS, use the polls, whatever. But using this season as an example, it wouldn't seem right for whatever reason, although it would make for some great football.

Scenario 2a-Using same setup with AP Poll rankings used as seedings.

1USC vs. 16Fresno State

8Alabama vs. 9Ohio State

3Miami vs. 14Georgia

5Penn State vs. 12UCLA

4LSU vs. 13West Virginia

6Notre Dame vs. 10Oregon

2Texas vs. 15TCU

7Virginia Tech vs. 11Auburn

I've decided to give up hope for all sports teams I follow

I like this idea better, which would involve the rotation of bowl games integrated into a playoff system, automatic bids would be ended, it would all be "at-large" bids determined by adding up points for places (+10 for 1st, +9 for 2nd, etc.) for all major polls (including the BCS):

I'll use this year as a example:

Note that the "new bowls" are completely fake, and are more there as placeholders then anything. So don't think I'm actually saying there should be a bowl in Buffalo or anything, although you gotta admit, it would be pretty funny to see USC play in a upstate NY winter.

"Elite Eight"

Snow Bowl (Ralph Wilson Stadium in Buffalo, NY): 1 vs. 8

Texas Bowl (Reliant Stadium in Houston, TX): 2 vs. 7

Hoosier Bowl (RCA Dome in Indianapolis, Indiana): 3 vs. 6

Sugar Bowl*: 4 vs. 5

"Final Four"

Orange Bowl*: Winner of Snow Bowl vs. Winner of Sugar Bowl

Fiesta Bowl*: Winner of Texas Bowl vs. winner of Hoosier Bowl

"Championship Game"

Rose Bowl*: Winners of Orange and Fiesta Bowl face for the Championship.

The * signified rotating bowls/

Insert Witty Signature Here.

Archived