How many times have we said

Dilbert

Actually, the local ABA team, the Rochester Razorsharks, have somehow been averaging between 2,000 and 5,000 fans a game. I think that probably beats half the rest of the team's COMBINED!

So are they planning to apply to join the CBA next year as rumored?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Actually, the local ABA team, the Rochester Razorsharks, have somehow been averaging between 2,000 and 5,000 fans a game. I think that probably beats half the rest of the team's COMBINED!

That's the exception rather than the rule with the ABA though.

The Krunk are a better example of what is typical. Who in their right mind puts an ABA team in a city where the NBA just expanded recently and has a near 20-year NBA tradition?

I get the ABA concept, and it could actually work with only four changes:

(1) Get ownership groups that have real money. Teams were awarded to anyone with $10K in their pockets (I know, as I was part of a group considering getting involved - but thankfully didn't - here in Raleigh), with no background, criminal or financial background checks of the people who own teams. Consequently, guys are buying teams left and right, then folding up shop when they realize, "plop, I'm losing what little money I actually have on this." Make would-be owners post a $100K letter of credit, so that if they bail, the league can operate the team while looking (quietly) for new owners, at least to complete the season.

(2) Get realistic about what you are. The ABA is a regional, "B" level league that really wants to be what its namesake was - national. It'll never get there, so why fight it? Why rent 15,000-seat arenas when a high school gym will do the job? Yeah, I know, playing in a high school gym seems bush league, but if you can rent one for $1,500 a night vs. $50,000 a night for somewhere like Pittsburgh's Civic Arena, it doesn't hurt the wallet nearly as bad when only 50-100 people show up at your games.

(3) Be unique in terms of player salaries, encouraging them to promote the league. Rather than say, "I'll pay you $250 a game," guarantee them a percentage of the paid gate, less the expense of renting whatever facility you play in: anywhere between 40-60%. I guarantee your players would become your greatest ambassadors for the league, as they'd have a direct interest in seeing to it that as many people attend games as possible.

(4) Dump current management and find a Commissioner and management group that knows BUSINESS, not BASKETBALL. For basketball ops, create a committee to govern things like playing rules and so forth. Put someone in the Commissioner's chair who understands that the first objective of the league is to establish credibility and make teams self-sufficient.

nav-logo.png

Archived