Sneak peak at philadelphia soul unis...

Brian in Boston

You can catch a glimpse of what I assume to be the Philadelphia Soul's home uniforms at the following link:

http://www.angelocataldi.com/angelos_photo_album.html

Check out the third picture down on the right-hand side of the page.

*The jerseys are Gunmetal Grey. The jersey sleeves  and Broncos-like side panel inserts are both Electric Blue. The collar is Black. Numbers are White with Black trim. The nameplate is Black with White lettering. The team logo appears on both sleeves.

*The pants are all Black with no striping. The team logo appears on the hips.

*The helmet is Gunmetal Grey with a Black facemask. The logo appears on both sides. There appears to be a  single Black tapering stripe that does not quite reach the extreme back of the helmet.

Brian in Boston

Not quite sure those are the real thing.  In the distance in that picture it looks like there are some other proposals for uniforms including a white uniform and another colored uniform which appears to be blue.  I hope there are some tweaks prior to finalizing these - nameplates should be the same color as the jersey base, otherwise they look cheap.

I assumed that the white uniforms in the background were their road uni design. As for the other template in the background, it looks to be the exact same color and design as the one being held up in the foreground.

I am a bit disconcerted about the apparent initial decision to go with contrasting nameplates (ugghh!). Hopefully, at least that will be tweaked.

All in all, not to shabby by AFL standards... though I was expecting something with a bit more "oomph"!

Brian in Boston

Oh... and as for them being the "real thing", I'm convinced until we see something else unveiled.

Let's keep in mind that these were photos taken in studio at WIP, Philadelphia's top all-sports radio station. Jon Bon Jovi and his partner are obviously sitting there being interviewed, which leads me to believe that these uniform concepts were part of the promotional packet that they were toting around throughout the day. For the life of me, other than those concepts having been presented to the show host as at least being front-runners in the uniform design process, I can't figure out another reason why the guy would bother to have photos taken of a uniform design.

Also, the team has announced that their colors are Gunmetal Grey and Blue. However, if you look at the logo that we've seen displayed, you'd conclude that the team's colors were Black and Blue. I'm thinking that the reason we've even heard that Gunmetal Grey is an official team primary color is because it figures so prominently in the uniform design.

Now, granted... the design may well be tweaked between now and kick-off. However, until then, I'm convinced that these are the direction the team is thinking of going in.

For the record, here are the Soul's new colors:

PHILADELPHIA SOUL BLACK

PHILADELPHIA SOUL GRAPHITE GRAY

PHILADELPHIA SOUL BABY BLUE

I know this because the designer of this stuff emailed ME...usually I have to bug people to find this out, but he contacted me first (!).

Apparently, Jon Bon Jovi came up with the "Graphite Gray" description...

I'll try to find out the lowdown on the unis...

• LMU locked this topic

Archived