Counterfeit jerseys

VitaminD

The subject of people making and selling counterfeit jerseys has been discussed for a long time in this lengthy thread, and I am support catching these clowns and putting them out of business. And I am, like most of you, a uniform junkie who sweats the most minor details.

Last year, I got a "Ron Jaworski" Eagles jersey labeled as a Mitchell & Ness for Christmas (2004) from my dad, who is considerably less discriminating about noticing the finer points of sports merchandise. But this thing isn't even close; he got one for my brother-in-law that's equally hideous. He didn't get it online, but in a temporary kiosk at one of our local malls. It's shameful.

Obviously, I am not going to wear the thing, and it was taking up space at the bottom of the closet. I had forgotten about it until my wife and I moved last month. It made its way to the new house, and it got me thinking again about it.

I notified M&N about it, and they're aware of all the frauds being perpetrated in their name, but there isn't much they can do about it, since the vendor is long gone. But my question is: what do I do with the jersey I am left with?

I do not want it, and would like to get rid of it. But I feel that if I put it up for sale on eBay or a similar site, I am not better than the people we despise. And it's not even about the cash - I don't know how much my dad spent on it, and I don't want any money from it. So how do I get rid of it? Goodwill seems to be the best answer, but I was wondering what some of you thought about this, and if you've wound up in situations like this.

Thanks in advance.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

The subject of people making and selling counterfeit jerseys has been discussed for a long time in this lengthy thread, and I am support catching these clowns and putting them out of business. And I am, like most of you, a uniform junkie who sweats the most minor details.

Last year, I got a "Ron Jaworski" Eagles jersey labeled as a Mitchell & Ness for Christmas (2004) from my dad, who is considerably less discriminating about noticing the finer points of sports merchandise. But this thing isn't even close; he got one for my brother-in-law that's equally hideous. He didn't get it online, but in a temporary kiosk at one of our local malls. It's shameful.

Obviously, I am not going to wear the thing, and it was taking up space at the bottom of the closet. I had forgotten about it until my wife and I moved last month. It made its way to the new house, and it got me thinking again about it.

I notified M&N about it, and they're aware of all the frauds being perpetrated in their name, but there isn't much they can do about it, since the vendor is long gone. But my question is: what do I do with the jersey I am left with?

I do not want it, and would like to get rid of it. But I feel that if I put it up for sale on eBay or a similar site, I am not better than the people we despise. And it's not even about the cash - I don't know how much my dad spent on it, and I don't want any money from it. So how do I get rid of it? Goodwill seems to be the best answer, but I was wondering what some of you thought about this, and if you've wound up in situations like this.

Thanks in advance.

Just put it up on Ebay, and call it a replica, that way you arent defrauding anyone. Let the buyer beware. Dont mention anything about Mitchell and Ness, and you arent cheating anyone.

metslogo_215.gif

if you put it on ebay, like the poster before me said, mention that it isnt the authentic article and down charge an arm and a leg for something that you want to part ways with. or give it to a friend that might be an eagles fan or just like jeresys.

are you from NC? if so what mall did he get it at?

OhioStateBuckeyesLightBanner.png by RoscoeUA

hailtothechief.png by gingerbreadman

I'm just worried about the "selling a counterfeit jersey" aspect on eBay. I don't think there's a good way to go about it.

If you mention it's a M&N, then it's misleading. If you don't, it'll be sketchy when they receive a M&N jersey for what they paid.

I'm just worried about the "selling a counterfeit jersey" aspect on eBay. I don't think there's a good way to go about it.

If you mention it's a M&N, then it's misleading. If you don't, it'll be sketchy when they receive a M&N jersey for what they paid.

In my opinion, selling it on ebay even as a "replica" isn't exactly honest. "Replica" means that it is replicating something, and judging by your description, the only thing the jersey might actually be replicating is a pile of dung. Uninformed yet good-intentioned people like your dad might still be duped.

If I were to put it on Ebay, I'd be totally honest about it. My ad would say something like "Received this as a gift, isn't like anything Eagles have ever worn, but if you like it, I'd appreciate your bid." To me, that's the only way to be completely above board on the issue.

uta-big-sam-little-uta.png

are you from NC? if so what mall did he get it at?

UNC alum, NJ native, presently a NJ resident. The mall was one of ours, no worries about Fayette Nam giving out the bad merchandise. (And yeah, I do miss NC... *SIGH*)

---------------

Thanks to all for the advice and input. I'm still on the fence about eBay; I have other jerseys I may sell that are replicas in the truer sense - that they are replicas of what teams/players actually wore (example: my Flyers' #88 Lindros jersey; clearly not authentic, but the colors, stripes and logos are correct - and will never be worn again by anyone in my house).

I don't even know how to describe this atrocity; even though my dad's generally not up to speed on the small details with sports uniforms, he'd never made a mistake before this. Oh well... I guess Goodwill is still an option.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

You didnt buy it , your dad did. It's a damn shame what these people do to rip off the casual sports fan, but this one is on Pop's tab , so I say just suck it up and wear it in front of him, if he even cares whether you wear it or not. I had the same thing happen with an ex-girlfriend who bought me a "Wal-Mart" Saints jersey and expected me to wear it to the games. I found excuses not to wear it and finally broke down and told her...AUTHENTIC...AUTHENTIC...AUTHENTIC...It was nice of your dad to get it for you, but I would have tried to return it. Even the temporary kiosks have home bases,unless the dreaded ALL SALES FINAL was attached...

"We root for the laundry"

(Jerome Seinfeld)

Archived