NHL Game Pucks

rmackman

Okay I know nowadays it's easy to tell which pucks are game pucks because even though they change the design all the time, they still say OFFICIAL GAME PUCK such as below.

p2288100dt.jpg

However, I don't think they always said that. I think at one time they looked like the puck on the left, 2nd from the bottom in this photo:

77.jpg

I just wanted to be sure because I'm not real good at telling authentic old pucks from fake ones.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Okay I know nowadays it's easy to tell which pucks are game pucks because even though they change the design all the time, they still say OFFICIAL GAME PUCK such as below.

p2288100dt.jpg

However, I don't think they always said that. I think at one time they looked like the puck on the left, 2nd from the bottom in this photo:

77.jpg

I just wanted to be sure because I'm not real good at telling authentic old pucks from fake ones.

dang! Those puck also show how much the NHL shield has changed :hockeysmiley:

stars.jpg

dallasmavericks.gif

style1,JBPerry.png

<embed src="http://www.clocklink.com/clocks/5005-Blue.swf?TimeZone=CST&TimeFormat=hhmmssTT" width="180" height="60" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

joshuabperry@sbcglobal.net

My Webpage

That one says "Official Licensed Product." I think that just means it's a cheesy souvenir instead of an Official Game Puck.

he is correct... btw, i caught a puck at a game in 1990 and i am pretty sure it looks most like the bottom right one on the back.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

That one says "Official Licensed Product."  I think that just means it's a cheesy souvenir instead of an Official Game Puck.

Also, the reverse of the Canadiens one, (with John Ziegler's signature) says Trench Mfg, and I know for a fact I've bought souvenir pucks with the same reverse.

I have a game caught Sabres puck from the late 80's with a different reverse than the bettman one. I'll try and dig it up and scan it when I get home for comparison.

That one says "Official Licensed Product."  I think that just means it's a cheesy souvenir instead of an Official Game Puck.

Also, the reverse of the Canadiens one, (with John Ziegler's signature) says Trench Mfg, and I know for a fact I've bought souvenir pucks with the same reverse.

I have a game caught Sabres puck from the late 80's with a different reverse than the bettman one. I'll try and dig it up and scan it when I get home for comparison.

I can one up you all on this. I know someone who would have real game pucks from throughout the 70's and 80's and possibly 90's...but its just a matter of getting her to let me see them...aka getting her dad to give her permission to let me see them. I'll get back to you with my efforts and post pics if i'm allowed to see them. I'm not at liberty to say how I can get this done, but trust me, its pretty bitchin!

I could always drop by the HHOF when I go back home and look at the pucks they have in the entrance.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Isn't it weird how the game balls in MLB, NBA, and the NFL are all easy to tell whats real and not....yet the NHL has a ton of variations for their pucks!? I think my favorite style was 2003. Anyways thanks for your help guys I appreciate it.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

he is correct... btw, i caught a puck at a game in 1990 and i am pretty sure it looks most like the bottom right one on the back.

the one you have from 1990 is that made by InGlasCo or Trench Mfg. ?

spacer.png

I can one up you all on this. I know someone who would have real game pucks from throughout the 70's and 80's and possibly 90's...but its just a matter of getting her to let me see them

Seriously, baby, just for a second. It'll make both of us feel good. I'll just poke in and leave.

:D

the one you have from 1990 is that made by InGlasCo or Trench Mfg. ?

img016.jpg

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

So that was InGlasCo so I wonder if Trench ever did make game pucks because there are a bunch of those around...I'll have to do some research.

spacer.png

I can one up you all on this. I know someone who would have real game pucks from throughout the 70's and 80's and possibly 90's...but its just a matter of getting her to let me see them

Seriously, baby, just for a second. It'll make both of us feel good. I'll just poke in and leave.

:D

Nah, its "I'll poke in, snap a few pics, leave, and then upload them for everyone on CCSLC to see." :P

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Go figure. I wrote to the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto and this is what they wrote back saying:

Hi Ryan,

In Glas Co has only been around since 1976, and they did not take over the offical game pucks for the NHL until (if memory serves) around 1990.

Trench made the pucks previous to In Glas Co.

Craig Beckim

Manager, Merchandising and Retail Operations

So how about that! We all learned something today! :D

spacer.png

Archived