Oaklnad Seals jersey

beesharps

On Sports E-Cyclopedia, they have this photo of Bob Baun when he was an Oakland Seal :

BaunOak.jpg

Now, this is obviously the regular jerseys that they used from 1967-70. Baun only played with the Seals during their first season. There's also a clip of the Seals in action against the North Stars on the old NHL 75th Anniversary tape "Hockey Heroes & History". The clip is shown shortly after the intro to the "1967-79" section (for those who own the tape and want to check it out). In that clip, one can tell that the goal net is of pretty shoddy quality, not befitting that of the NHL, so perhaps this clip was from an exhibition game before the 1967-68 season.

So, my hypothesis is that the Seals wore jerseys of the old WHL San Francisco Seals until their new jerseys were ready. Here's their logo (I've been having trouble posting it. It may not show up):

sfseal63.gif

In the first picture, one can see that Baun's gloves are the blue and green of the Oakland Seals, not the green/gold of the SF Seals. But - did the Seals take to the ice with these during the regular season at all? Or was it used only in the pre-season that year?

Any thoughts? Ideas? Confirmation?

Homer%20Simpson%20Sabres.jpg

Could be a pre-season shot

Yep, it was. It was from the "Toronto Star Weekly" a magazine that came with the Saturday paper. The story features the six new teams that started in October, 1967 and the pictures were all taken from exhibition games. I only know this because I have a scrapbook downstairs somewhere with the photos. The Seals never wore this uniform (SF Seals) once the regular season started -- the new ones were green at home/white on the road. I recall that the pictures of the LA Kings were taken from either San Diego or Long Beach, because of the chicken wire behind the net, instead of glass. Obviously, this photo was someplace else, but I don't know where.

Here's an approximation of what they wore at home when the season started:

seals.jpg

"Old folks"

scorepics-ca.jpg

I recall that the pictures of the LA Kings were taken from either San Diego or Long Beach, because of the chicken wire behind the net, instead of glass.

My dad attended a Kings/North Stars pre-season game in 1967 in Kingston, Ontario... which had the chicken wire instead of glass... so they likely weren't playing out in California during the pre-season, maybe unless it was the last game before reg season

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Guest robpas

Just to add to the confusion:

Sealsphoto.jpg

The green home jersey Bobby Baun is sporting in the above picture was also never worn in a regular season game in 1966-67....The "Seals" lettering was a nod to the San Francisco Seals jerseys:

66-67Sealsfrt.jpg

Just to add to the confusion:

The "Seals" lettering was a nod to the San Francisco Seals jerseys:

Great pics !!

My dad attended a Kings/North Stars pre-season game in 1967 in Kingston, Ontario... which had the chicken wire instead of glass... so they likely weren't playing out in California during the pre-season, maybe unless it was the last game before reg season

That was probably it, then...I seem to recall the article of the caption said Long Beach (while I remember that San Diego still had the old chicken wire back then).

The first time I saw a game at the KMC was in 1973 and it had glass by then, but it doesn't surprise me that it was still c hicken wire (as was Windsor) in the '60's.

"Old folks"

scorepics-ca.jpg

that first uniform was the old WHL's San Francisco Seals.

The San Jose Sharks magazine show "Shark Byte" did a feature on them, particulary the year that they beat the Seattle Totems for the Lester Patrick Cup.

They routinely drew sellout crowds at the 10,800 seat Cow Palace back in those days.

that first uniform was the old WHL's San Francisco Seals.

The San Jose Sharks magazine show "Shark Byte" did a feature on them, particulary the year that they beat the Seattle Totems for the Lester Patrick Cup.

They routinely drew sellout crowds at the 10,800 seat Cow Palace back in those days.

62-63, iirc. A tough series and disappointing considering the Totems lost the series after being up 3-1. The 3 wins were impressive though as all 7 games were played in SF due to Seattle's arena being previously booked.

Archived