Rockies/Giants war today

brinkeguthrie

I'm waiting to see if MLB will take the same tact with the G-Men and Pebbles as they did with the Mets & Nats after the whole Pedro/Jose Guillen flap...that means the umps sit with the managers and tell them in no uncertain terms that there's an auto warning in effect for EVERY game the rest of the season.

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

An umpire may eject any player without warning for intentionally throwing at a batter. I don't know if the warning is necessary for the manager to be ejected as well as the offending player.

As I understand, if the benches are warned, any hit batsman thereafter is an automatic ejection for the pitcher and manager plus suspensions to both. This was brought up on ESPN after the Nats-Mets game because Frank Robinson was ejected and suspended due to a questionable rule which, ironically, he had enacted when he was working in the MLB front offices prior to managing the Expos.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

An umpire may eject any player without warning for intentionally throwing at a batter. I don't know if the warning is necessary for the manager to be ejected as well as the offending player.

As I understand, if the benches are warned, any hit batsman thereafter is an automatic ejection for the pitcher and manager plus suspensions to both. This was brought up on ESPN after the Nats-Mets game because Frank Robinson was ejected and suspended due to a questionable rule which, ironically, he had enacted when he was working in the MLB front offices prior to managing the Expos.

Umpire has the final say... I don't think there's such a thing as "automatic ejection" in MLB.

Example... September 2003, Jays/Rays series, for some odd reason both teams were warned before the first game of the series (apparently there was an incident over a year ago they were referring to!).

Game 1 of the series Roy Halladay cruising, throws one inside (doesn't hit the batter) in the 4th inning and is tossed from the game.

Game 2 of the series Jays pitcher (i think it was...) Josh Towers hits a batter and is tossed from the game.

Game 3 of the series Rays pitcher (again, I believe it was...) Victor Zambrano hits THREE batters and nothing is said.

(and one of those games was the one Delgado hit 4 home runs in, all I know is that was the one series i didn't attend any games in that year!)

Anyways, so that's just one example of an umpire having final say in any in-game punishment.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Hmmmmm. That's pretty questionable. I say anti-Canadianism. Anyway, Jon Miller et al. always say "automatic ejection," even though it's pretty much at the discretion of the umpire at all times.

My favorite is Earl Weaver getting tossed for making eye contact with the plate ump.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Its umpire's discretion whether it was intentional or not. The whole thing is he MUST be decisive. He can't sit and think about it. The umpire has a better feel for the game than anyone watching. His initial reaction to a hits batsman will most likely be the correct one.

I've only disagreed with one ejection and it wasn't over a hit batter. I don't think you should screw around with HBPs. I understand eye-for-an-eye, I played the game. I've been on all ends of the beanball. Calling for one as a catcher, throwing one as a pitcher, and being hit by one as a batter. But you always do it below the waist, and you accept the fact that you will most likely get tossed for retaliating. Its just how it goes.

The umpire will make his ejection decision immediately, although situations can dictate if the batter was hit intentionally.

If, after warnings are issued, a batter is hit with a curveball or knuckleball and loads the bases (or forces in a run), it's obviously not intentional. Throwing at a guys head or back after a homerun or another play involving contact is a pretty good clue for ejection.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

The umpire will make his ejection decision immediately, although situations can dictate if the batter was hit intentionally.

If, after warnings are issued, a batter is hit with a curveball or knuckleball and loads the bases (or forces in a run), it's obviously not intentional. Throwing at a guys head or back after a homerun or another play involving contact is a pretty good clue for ejection.

Usually if the first pitch in an inning hits the batter the umpire will treat it as intentional

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Archived