Bakyard Wiffle Ball League

TurnTwo

Last year my brother and I started a Wiffle Ball League in our town. I made a logo which was just a ripoff of the MLB Logo.

[Old Logo Thread]

This year, after a year of designing practice under my belt (and access to Illustrator), I have unveiled this logo:

bwllogo.png

I think it's a classy look. I'd love to hear what you guys think.

Thanks!

"I must be butter, because I'm on a roll."

Turn Two Design // Facebook

Thats pretty sweet looking way better than the MLB looking one. You have teams too? Looks good the script would look kinda weird any smaller though.

DRew

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Nice work. Really fun!

My suggestions for improvement:

1. Eliminate the white corner bevels in the, um, corners. Makes your logo look like a website button from circa 1997.

2. Switch to a non-distressed script. Making your text look like the printing plate is wearing down can be good in some cases. This isn't one of them.

3. What kind of pitch is he throwing with the ball in that position? Looks like a straight fastball, possibly a riser, to me. This is Wiffle Ball we're talking about! Center those vents on the side facing the viewer to show the boy throwing a wicked curve that's kind of the whole point of the ball, and while you're at it make the holes red. (Or leave them where they are, but make them red in any case.)

4. Speaking of the ball, it should probably be round. Like an actual circle round, not just vaguely roundish as it is now.

5. The hand in the blue area needs work. Here's what you do. Take something ball-sized in your own throwing arm. Without thinking further, reach your arm back as though to throw. Freeze! Now look at what your other hand is doing. When I do this, my left (non-throwing) hand is pointing more or less straight out from my arm, palm down, with open fingers stretched out and my thumb extending down. My palm actually points down and away from my body, so the pinky side of my hand is up and the thumb side of my hand is down. In profile, this would like almost the exact opposite of what you've got. But with fingers instead of stumps. Hands are hard to draw, I know, which is why Charlie Brown only has three fingers, but with patience you'll get it.

20082614447.png

The front shoulder looks slightly awkward to me, but I can't exactly place how.

I agree with the comments on distressing to an extent. I think the mix of the distressed script and the shiny logo doesn't fit. I would agree with distressing if/when you print it up on a t-shirt, but if you're going to use it online I would go without it unless you're committed to that throughout the site or page.

Nice solid work.

Every Fifth Day is a

HappyFelixDay.gif

Very nice. I'd only change two things:

1. The holes in the Wiffle Ball were better in your first draft. If they're going to be facing the viewer, you need to show all six. If you're only going to show three, put them back where they were. But the ball needs to be more emphatic somehow. Perhaps make it a bit bigger, even if it's a little out of proportion. (Just a little; don't make it a soccer ball or anything). And it would be great if the holes could be just a tad more pronounced. Somehow; I'm not sure I have a good idea for how to accomplish that.

2. The non-throwing hand is beautiful. Now, it's too good. Just show the outline, with none of the excellent fine detail you've added. (Same with the ballcap, actually; there's a squidgy bit where the crown meets the brim that's out of place.)

I'd like to see this much smaller, say 216 pixels wide on the throwing-guy logo, to assess how the detail compresses. A logo like this will look very different small than at screen-filling size, and if you ever use it odds are good you'll mostly use it at the smaller size (on a website or a trophy, for example).

20082614447.png

Archived