Baseball Team Logo

josdin00

One of the members of the Vikings message board I frequent asked if anyone could come up with a logo for his son's baseball team (they live in Ohio).

I recently rediscovered my copy of Corel Draw, and thought I'd try making a vector logo for the first time. I was given the program when I had never even heard of vector graphics. I decided that the program was crap when I couldn't even find the paint brush, and threw the cd in my pile of "I'm never going to use this software" cds. I stumbled across it the other day, realized how stupid I was, and went to work learning the program. This is the result.

In the interest of full disclosure, since I was concentrating more on learning the program than designing the logo, I spent a long time staring at other logos to come up with my design. Therefore, you'll notice a lot of similarities between my design and the logo for the Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees. It's not a rip-off, but it definately is "inspired by". I promise I will be a bit more original in the future, once I figure out what I'm doing.

Comments? Critique?

UltraLogoII.jpg

Pretty good, just fix the shadows on the bee, though. Very creative use of Ohio as well.

Thanks. I was pretty happy with the Ohio-'M'.

As for the shadows, I tried messing around with them for a while, and this was the best I came up with so far. If you can be any more specific on how to fix them, I'd really appreciate it, 'cause I'm just not sure what to do with them.

As for the shadows, I tried messing around with them for a while, and this was the best I came up with so far. If you can be any more specific on how to fix them, I'd really appreciate it, 'cause I'm just not sure what to do with them.

Well, on the sleeve it looks nice and sleek and is the right shade of shadow. But, on the bee's body, it looks jagged and way too dark. I know this is to simulate the bee's fuzzy body, but it looks awkward and forced. Maybe try simplifying and lightening it up a bit, or just cutting it out all together.

Also, the lack of shadow on the arms makes it look awkward as well. I would suggest a shadow like that on the nose.

Personally I'd like to see what the whole logo would look like if you took away the gradients, that would look a tad more professional in my book. I like how you made the M out of the state of Ohio.

i think the bee is solid when you fix the shading on the body, the ohio m is good, but not great...i'd like to see it by itself to judge it completely - i don't think you should use it as the first letter in the word medina...maybe make it a secondary/cap logo - the wordmark is a disaster - the edina is ok, but the sting is a wreck

jldesigns404eo.png

• 2 weeks later...

I like it and I dont like it. I like the bee and the M is starting to grow on me. I think its the wordmark that bothers me. Its a little too plain. See if you can add some style to that and youll have my approval (like that matters anyways ^_^ . For the hat, I think you should try putting the bee with the M somehow. I realize that the bee might cover the M, but have the middile of the M come over the bees shoulder. Just an idea. Good luck and good job.

The white negative space forming the underparts of the M makes it appear to me that there is a jackalope or bunny rabit standing in front of Ohio.

Also, maybe put some lines to show the fingers gripping the bat, it kind of looks like the bee's arms end mid-forearm like he has stubs and no wrists.

on the whole though looks pretty good, those are just my nitpick remarks.

fade.gif

Archived