Riddle me this....

hjwii

The Twins are a major league team. They make lots of money. They spend lots of money. Would it kill them to stitch the letters of the palyer's name onto the jersey rather than using the solid nameplates? I mean, it looks ridiculous to have that solid white plate interrupting the pinstripes...

:cursing:

So, why do they do it? Would it cost that much more? Someone.. please...explain this to me...

hjwii

The pintripes on grey irritate me more than the cheap nameplates. THe only team that should do pinstripes on grey would be Colorado, because they're a lost cause anyway, from a visual standpoint. The Twins can be touched up a bit and look great.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I disagree. Although it is odd, I really like the look of the nameplates on the pinstriped jerseys. I liked it when the Marlins did it on their original jerseys, when the Pirates did it on their late 90s road jerseys, and I like it on the Twins jerseys. Right now, it is unique to them, so I would like to see them keep it.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

This is just a guess, but maybe they feel that if the pinstripes go right up to the letters in the names it might make them harder to read than when the names are on the solid white nameplate.

I think the nameplate is a good idea and any fan who buys their favorite team jersey with a current players name should insist on one. I have a Michael Peca #27 Sabres Jersey, now it's a Numminen #27 Sabres Jersey and all it took was ordering the new nameplate and some sewing by my wife.

I disagree.  Although it is odd, I really like the look of the nameplates on the pinstriped jerseys.  I liked it when the Marlins did it on their original jerseys, when the Pirates did it on their late 90s road jerseys, and I like it on the Twins jerseys.  Right now, it is unique to them, so I would like to see them keep it.

I also like the nameplates for the simple reason that running vertical stripes under thin back-of-jersey letters makes those letters harder to read. When you start putting letters and numbers on jerseys, readability is more important than being pretty. (Though I happen to think the nameplate looks good in addition to serving a useful purpose.) Just look at the Phillies and their unreadable thin-red-letters-on-red-pinstripes home unis.

20082614447.png

Yeah, I've had trouble reading the Phils jerseys too. They need to go to plain old athletic block, maybe with blue or grey trim.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I disagree.  Although it is odd, I really like the look of the nameplates on the pinstriped jerseys.  I liked it when the Marlins did it on their original jerseys, when the Pirates did it on their late 90s road jerseys, and I like it on the Twins jerseys.  Right now, it is unique to them, so I would like to see them keep it.

I also like the nameplates for the simple reason that running vertical stripes under thin back-of-jersey letters makes those letters harder to read. When you start putting letters and numbers on jerseys, readability is more important than being pretty. (Though I happen to think the nameplate looks good in addition to serving a useful purpose.) Just look at the Phillies and their unreadable thin-red-letters-on-red-pinstripes home unis.

That's a great point. In a similar vein, the soccer team Juventus FC have switched back and forth from putting the names/numbers directly the white-and black striped shirts and putting them inside a solid black area. They are nearly illegible when directly printed. The box helps a lot. That's almost certainly why the Twins have stuck with the nameplate.

But then again, the Astros don't use a nameplate on the home pinstripes, and they aren't hard to read.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

My biggest gripe is when teams do not stich the name on the jersey, i know the cardinals switched this year from the the nameplates and it looks much better, i just wish Seattle and the other teams that do it would switch as well. As an ex-girlfriend of mine once said "those nameplates just look cheap and tacky, don't they watch 'what's not to wear'"

I like my women like i like my coffee, tied up in a burlap sack and thrown over the back of a donkey.

I know that the Braves don't wear pinstripes but they also use a name plate.

yeah but the braves ditched their awesome verical arched lettering, so they lose double cool points now

I like my women like i like my coffee, tied up in a burlap sack and thrown over the back of a donkey.

Archived