Houston Bowl has new name

JBPerry

The other relevant news is that the President of the Texas Bowl (who also a bigwig with the Texans and Reliant Stadium) said that there will be a coporate sponsor added in the next few weeks, so the name will be changed to the Brand X Texas Bowl or the Texas Bowl Presented by Brand X.

Well, better save a copy of this bad boy right now, before they mess it up by making it the "Depends Undergarments Texas Bowl" and you won't be able to find a copy of that logo without an adult diaper on it, or whatever.

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

This smells like a Ben Barnes' logo.

I guess I need to lay of the Old Spice :)

I am glad to hear that there is a positive reaction to this logo. As I read this thread, most of the things that you all bring up were things that were considered in designing this (like the 2005 MLS Cup project, I once again worked with RARE Design on this). It was going to be the Lone Star Bowl, and about halfway through the process it got changed to the Texas Bowl. The belt buckle idea came around then as well. We had some ideas that featured the state flag and some with a wooden sign concept. Ultimately they liked the buckle because they felt there was a lot they could do with that concept as far as promotions go. (I personally didn't want to go this direction as I felt the wodden sign was more of a stylistic change for me from the MLS Cup logo). I have heard they do plan on making actual buckles with the participating team logos replacing the two stars on the ends, but not sure about what they are going to use the actual buckles for (I hope to get one, though :).

As far as the actual designing of this logo, we hope that whatever sponsor is chosen wil be able to replace the "2006" on the buckle. No word on a sponsor yet. The font is a modified Brothers Bold. And actually the version that was released is not the final version. You may notice that some of the beveling is a bit off, and the flourshes are kind of thrown on there (the light source changes with these as well). They needed something to release and we were literally making changes up until the last minute before the press conference. We have since gone in and cleaned it up, but I am not sure when that version will be out.

Anyways, like I said, I'm glad to hear that people seem to like this. Thanks for the comments.

It was the Every One's Internet Houston Bowl and the company was sold. That created the need for a name change.

CORRECTION - what created the need for a change was the fact that the investors that ran the former Houston Bowl went brankrupt and were behind on making their bowl payouts to the conferences , not the fact that a company was sold.

As for the new name ... I dont mind it, the logo is very sharp. However, I had REALLY been hoping for the Lone Star Bowl. That would have been an outstanding name for bowl game.

That might be true, but EV1 is no more. They were bought out! I know I worked for them. You cant use a sponsor that doesn't exist. That might have also caused the investors to go bankrupt.

TEXASFIGHT.gifAstros-Sig.gifUntitled-1.gifAeros.gif

Archived