Hockey Bay?

oddball

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hockey Bay? I'm not even sure Tampa is a hockey city, even after a Stanley Cup.

Not to mention the bad ice. :P

We're selling more tickets than Philly. :P

I don't mind it. It's actually kinda funny and I got a good laugh out of it when I first saw it. I always thought Detroit's "Hockeytown" was a joke too. Hopefully this marketing scheme won't last as long as Detroit's overplayed one though.

At first I thought it was an answer to Atlanta's "Blueland" promotions they have been very successful. But the Blueland stuff is actually pretty cool and creative. (loved the scarves they gave out opening night) Hockey Bay is just "meh".

I miss the old center ice.

Get a clue the arena here in Philly is filled every night and has been forever. This team is awful right now and it still is packed . yes the Lightning are winning now, but does a few winning seasons cancel out 10-12 years of bad hockey. Your team started out playing its games in a converted baseball stadium, Tampa is not a hockey city. Philly is not among the best of hockey towns either, but it is a very good Flyer town

That's great that the arena is filled every night in Philly. But we still have better attendance. It's a fact - look it up. Tampa is third in attendance behind Montreal and Detroit.

The Lightning are winning now? Have you seen the Lightning play this year? It's a miracle anyone is coming to the games. The prices are still high and the team is blowing wind. (Not as bad as the Flyers, but still pretty bad.) I haven't been to a Lightning game since before the Cup win. Prices are too high now. I don't feel like sitting in the nosebleeds. The view on TV is better.

And, as already stated, we started out playing at the state fairgrounds. Though we did play in a converted baseball stadium (though to be fair, no baseball team ever played in it before the Lightning. So in a way the Baseball stadium is a converted hockey arena.) where we set NHL attendance records. The average attendance record there still stands I believe, though the single game attendance record was beat out by the Heritage Classic.

But I'm not sure what that has to do with being a hockey city. Though I don't remember claiming Tampa was a hockey city either. Because really, I would have no idea. I don't live in Tampa. I only visit a few times a year.

[ncognito' date=Friday, December 15th, 2006 - 20:19:38' post='664596]

Those of you egocentric Canadians need to learn that just because hockey is YOUR number one sport doesn't mean an American can't love the game as much, if not more, than some of you.

I never said Americans can't like hockey. I just said Montréal and Toronto are better "hockey towns" then Detroit. I don't think there's any debate on that matter.

The Wings will always play second fiddle to the Lions. Detroit's a football town, the best the Wings can do is #2. It's a close second, but a second non the less. Even then, depending on how well the Pistons and Tigers are doing, they could fall to #3 or even #4 (as was seen during the "Dead Things" era).

You are 100% correct...Detroit is a football town. On a given fall weekend, Michigan, Michigan State and the Lions, all within 90 miles, can sell out. And, its a football town despite 50 years of Lion's mediocrity and one playoff win in that time. This area loves football. If the Lions even could play .500 ball (FIRE MILLEN) this town would be ecstatic.

Well under your theory Calgary isn't a great hockey city. After all they had to play in the Calgary Corral until their new arena was built.

Stampede. Stampede Corral.

Sorry, just a peeve of mine. It's never been the "Calgary Corral".

And they had a great record in the Corral.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Archived