I thought Penn State didnt wear bowl patches?

Luigi74

I remember they made a big deal about not wearing one in the Fiesta Bowl against Miami because they felt it would cheapen their "classic" uniforms, I didnt watch the Orange Bowl last year so I don't know if they wore one last year but a player did have a BCS sticker on his helmet at one of the All-Star Games.

According to this article from last year, today marks the fifth time Penn State has worn a patch on its jerseys.

PATCHES: The Orange Bowl will mark the fourth time Penn State has worn a patch on its jerseys, according to equipment manager Brad "Spider" Caldwell. The team wore a Big Ten patch in the [Dec. 1990] Blockbuster Bowl, a Bowl Alliance patch in the Jan. 1997 Fiesta Bowl and a patch for the Dec. 1999 Alamo Bowl. The team did not wear a patch for the Jan. 1995 Rose Bowl. Caldwell's wife, Karen, spent four days last week sewing on the patches.

Outback Bowl - January 1, 2007:

010107outbackbowlnd0.jpg

Orange Bowl - January 4, 2006:

010406orangebowlni6.jpg

Alamo Bowl - December 28, 1999:

122899alamobowltf8.jpg

Fiesta Bowl - January 1, 1997:

010197fiestabowltq3.jpg

Blockbuster Bowl - December 28, 1990 (not game image):

51894724jb9.jpg

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Blockbuster Bowl - December 28, 1990 (not game image)

I was at that game. However, I can safely say that from where I was sitting, you weren't going to see any patches unless they were as big as the numbers.

Post No. 2200. This is normally where I would say I really need to get back to work, but I'm presently sitting in my den.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

It's interesting that Penn State wore a Big Ten patch in 1990, after they made their deal to join the Big Ten, even though they didn't become a member until 1993.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Archived