Logo Question

random_ax

When a team in say, NFL or MLB, wants to change their logo.... does the owner usually contact his own sources and tell them what he's looking for and maybe put that out to 4 or 5 artists and choose the best or do they let the league provide that service? Anyone know?

And another question, if an artist sells a logo to a team...does he retain any of the rights? And if that team folds ...can the artist then offer the logo (modifed no doubt) to another team? I've seen some examples of that and I'm not sure how that works... or if someone is not legit.

If you sell the artwork of the logo to someone, it's theirs. It's like selling a negative, most photographers will sell you the negative for a price, otherwise it's their artwork. Now if you are contacted to do a logo for someone, it's yours designed for them.

If you sell the artwork of the logo to someone, it's theirs. It's like selling a negative, most photographers will sell you the negative for a price, otherwise it's their artwork. Now if you are contacted to do a logo for someone, it's yours designed for them.

Thanks for the info. i figured it was something like that. Let me aks you this.... I see a lot of semipro football teams that "borrow" logs from pro teams..... and some high schools do it as well. Are they in violation of some law that is pretty much overlooked?

Thanks for the info. i figured it was something like that. Let me aks you this.... I see a lot of semipro football teams that "borrow" logs from pro teams..... and some high schools do it as well. Are they in violation of some law that is pretty much overlooked?

Yes.

The University of Wisconsin has recently started cracking down on high schools using its "motion W." The opinion seems to be that if you don't protect it in all cases, you cease to retain the copyright.

Then you have situations like the University of Georgia, which asked the Green Bay Packers for permission to use the "G" logo back in 1964. Lombardi agreed, which is why they can use the pro team's logo.

• LMU locked this topic

Archived