Designing Wordmarks

scottysprings

You can do both... The easiest way to personalize a font though is typing the wordmark with a font you like, and then create outlines with it, and modify the result.

To create a typeface, you can either draw, scan and vector or use a font software to create the font file you'll be using.

Of the two methods, I find the first one easier since you only modify characters you really need, and it gives a uniqueness to your wordmark.

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

You'll get the best results if you take the extra time to sketch a few ideas, then make a nice drawing and scan it. Use Illustrator to trace it and be unique. That's the most important part. The word doesn't have to be flat. It can be angled, have some perspective, some bevels, a two-tone style, anything. If your team is Fish, maybe the F has a little barb on the end to look like a fishing hook.

Another option is to type out a word in a good, bold typeface, then go to [Type > Create Outlines] and modify the letters from there, add outlines or bevels or what have you. This is good as long as you have a solid typeface with which to begin.

The final option is to draw an alphabet of letters in Illustrator that becomes kind of like a set of letters that you can copy and paste for use over an over again, though you cannot type with it unless you make it into a real font using Fontographer or FontLab.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived