Raiders/black mask

slapshot

How do you know you follow sports and uniforms too closely? When you see this topic and instantly think "well Marcus Allen once wore a black facemask in the Pro Bowl." I really need to get a life. B)

I look at it this way: there are a whole lot worse things to be into.

B)

Agreed...but the Raiders SHOULD have a black mask. I can understand a team like the Cowboys not coloring their facemask. Which shade of blue would they use?? If they used navy it would match the helmet stripes and the star, but wouldn't match the blue on the white uniforms. If they matched the mask with the blue on those unis, then it wouldn't match the blue jerseys at all.

These are the things that keep me awake at night.

And half the reason why this forum even exists. We can all thank Christopher Creamer for developing the bright idea to do so...and have us all spittin' venom over the most minute itty biity details...like a black chinstrap on an orange helmet or Randy Moss's "8" being CONTINUOUSLY upside down or names being misspelled on jerseys (or TEAM NAMES, for that matter)--that kind of stuff...

OH--and the overuse of black and navy in the sports world. :P

Indeed. Before I found this place I used to think I was the only person around who cared about uniforms. Now I just a little (but not much) amazed at how many of us there actually are. Pantone is right, there are much worse things to be into.

Oh and I much prefer the gray facemask for the Raiders. Could be I'm just used to it though.

BB52Big.jpg

Just a thought - could it be that Allen's face mask was broken during the week and a replacement (black) mask was available from some other team's helmet? By that time few teams were wearing gray, so it might have been easier for the equipment people to ask around to see if there was a mask that would fit in Allen's favorite style.

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

Archived