Dre Bly to Denver for Tatum Bell and OT Foster

Shumway

Bly sent to Broncos for Foster and T. Bell

By Jason Cole and Charles Robinson

Thursday, Mar 1, 2007 2:58 pm EST

The Denver Broncos moved to bolster their secondary after the tragic death of cornerback Darrent Williams on Jan. 1 by trading offensive tackle George Foster and running back Tatum Bell to the Detroit Lions for cornerback Dre' Bly on Thursday, according to a source close to the situation. The Broncos will also receive a fifth-round pick in this year’s NFL draft, Yahoo!’s John Murphy has learned.

Denver had been the only team to express strong interest in Bly, who recently had asked to be traded. Bly, 29, helped St. Louis win a Super Bowl as a rookie in 1999 and has 33 interceptions in his eight-year career. He signed a five-year deal with Detroit as a free agent in 2003 and has started ever since.

Bell, unable to establish himself as a regular starter during his three-year tenure, led the Broncos in rushing with 1,025 yards in 2006. However, even with the departure of Bell and passing of backup Damien Nash, the Broncos have a potential starter in the backfield in Mike Bell -- second on the team in rushing (677 yards) last year, including 136 yards on just 15 carries in a Week 8 loss to the Indianapolis Colts.

For Detroit, Foster is expected to compete for a starting job right away and Bell – with two years left in his original rookie contract -- will be an insurance policy in case starting running back Kevin Jones can't return from a foot injury suffered last season. Foster's contract is due to run out at the end of the 2007 season.

I'm personally glad to see Bly go. He had a great season a few years ago, but hasn't been as good the past two years. Plus, with K-Jones possibly out for a while, Tatum's a great pickup for Detroit. Plus, a bolster to the running game can't hurt. Adding a former first-rounder offensive tackle is a plus for Detroit as well, although I'd still assume Joe Thomas is probably a good bet for the draft.

Anywho, discuss if you want

Bly never really fit in that Tampa 2 defense. He's a two-time Pro Bowler so I'm certainly happy to see him in Denver. He should look great opposite of Champ Bailey. Teams were able to pick on Darrent Williams last season, I don't think this will be the case on Dre Bly.

Besides, it was looking more and more likely that neither George Foster nor Tatum Bell would be in Denver next year. Certainly not Foster -- I'm so glad to see him go.

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived