Abramowicz jersey: Did someone get ripped off?

darkhaha

I was doing a little football jersey research tonight when I came across the following:

Dan Abramowitz Game Worn New Orleans Saints Jersey

It's my recollection that the Saints didn't add a gold outline to the numbers until they changed to the white pants, which was in '75. When they did this, they moved the TV numbers to the sleeves. In the '60s and 70s, I don't believe they ever had gold outline on the numbers on any jersey set where the TV numbers were on the shoulders. (Earlier, of course, they had the gold numbers outlined in black for the white jerseys and white for the balck jerseys.)

Also, Abramowitz was traded to the 49ers in '74, so he never played in the redesigned set from '75.

Anyway, I don't think there's any way the jersey shown on this auction site could be "game worn," as I think it's historically inaccurate. Which means someone got robbed of almost $3000. The Football Uniforms Past and Present site (which is now linkable from Pantone's excellent SSUR.org home page) seems to back up my recollection, but I know that site has a fair number of inaccuracies. I'm wondering if anyone can shed any light on this.

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

I was doing a little football jersey research tonight when I came across the following:

Dan Abramowitz Game Worn New Orleans Saints Jersey

It's my recollection that the Saints didn't add a gold outline to the numbers until they changed to the white pants, which was in '75. When they did this, they moved the TV numbers to the sleeves. In the '60s and 70s, I don't believe they ever had gold outline on the numbers on any jersey set where the TV numbers were on the shoulders. (Earlier, of course, they had the gold numbers outlined in black for the white jerseys and white for the balck jerseys.)

Also, Abramowitz was traded to the 49ers in '74, so he never played in the redesigned set from '75.

Anyway, I don't think there's any way the jersey shown on this auction site could be "game worn," as I think it's historically inaccurate. Which means someone got robbed of almost $3000. The Football Uniforms Past and Present site (which is now linkable from Pantone's excellent SSUR.org home page) seems to back up my recollection, but I know that site has a fair number of inaccuracies. I'm wondering if anyone can shed any light on this.

Just realized I spelled Abramowicz wrong...

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

Short answer to your question of whether someone got ripped off is...maybe. I almost laughed out loud when I first saw the pic of the back of the jersey:

40792b.jpg

But speaking strictly to the nameplate, now I'm not so sure. Look at this pic of Tom Dempsey in 1970. If his name is only 7 letters and is that big, maybe Danny's 1970 white jersey DID look like a hockey sweater.

DempseyNO.jpg

The letters are thinner on the Danny jersey and it just doesn't look right to me. Sewn-on numbers and screened-on name?

I think though that your observations about the number colors are correct as I recall. In 1970 they were plain black, no outline. Abramowicz did cut his sleeves, as seen in this pic of the pre-1970 gold-numbers-on-white jersey:

abramowicz3-29-04.gif

All things considered, it just doesn't look legit. I attended my first game in 1969 and once had a team-issued white jersey from 1972 (Creston Whitaker's #49) and the numbers were screened on and plain black. In any case, I'm certain I'd have remembered a nameplate like that one. :D

Edited to add: more evidence that it's not legit, from Football Uniforms Past and Present. No gold outlines in 1970:

NewOrleans70.gif

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Here's a 1973 football card.

213.jpg

As a Saints fan and at first glance, I would have looked at the auction jersey photo and thought it was a fake, based on the post-1974-style Saints numbers and the fact that Abramowicz was gone by 1973. But I remember seeing some Saints highlights on some 1970 episodes of This Week in Pro Football on ESPN Classic last year, and saw the Saints in a couple of games from that season wearing more of a block number style that would be close to the auction jersey.

The thing that really raises my suspicions are the tall, skinny letters. But I'd have to see those TWPF episodes again to see what the Abramowicz letters looked like.

• LMU locked this topic

Archived