2007 MLB Post-Season Schedule

wdm1219inpenna

Even though it is only March 6th, and the wind chill here in Pennsylvania was minus 6 this morning, I have baseball on the brain.

In bringing up the 2007 Yankees regular season schedule, courtesy of a wonderful website called shrpsports.net or shrpsports.com (yes that's spelled correctly, there is no "a" in the word "shrp"), I noticed the regular season ends on Sunday, September 30th.

Now, according to wikipedia.com, when I search 2007 World Series, it says the first game of the 2007 Fall Classic will be played on Tuesday, October 23rd, and if necessary, game 7 would be played on October 31st.

Here's where I get confused. Monday, October 1st is a day off, unless there is a single playoff game needed to decide a division title or wildcard berth. Division Series play begins that Tuesday, and would end the following Monday, October 8th, assuming there are no rain outs. LCS play would begin Oct 9th for one league, and Oct 10th for the other league. The conclusion of the LCS round would be on Thursday, October 18th, again, assuming no rainouts, or snowouts take place.

In the past, game 1 of the World Series would commence that following Saturday, October 20th. Why are they waiting until October 23rd for game 1? Wouldn't it make more sense to start the series October 20th? The only reasoning I've seen so far, is that games 3 and 4 would be played on a Friday and Saturday night, respectively, and perhaps that would help the ratings somewhat. Seems to me, having the World Series possibly not end until Halloween every year or possibly go into November, is ridiculous to the Nth degree.

Am I to understand then that after the LCS round is finished, we will have to wait at least 4 full days (19th, 20th, 21st and 22nd) before we get to October 23rd for game #1? I would think that would really foul up (no pun intended) the final 2 teams going into the World Series. Is MLB trying to take a page from the NFL and have at minimum 4 FULL days off before it begins, so there can be "build-up"? Is this a plan to perhaps eventually make the Division Series round also the best of 7?

Regards,

Bill, the guy whose heroes are Mr & Mrs Slowski, the turtles who have dial-up internet on the Comcast commercial.

I assume they want to have two days off, but then won't battle the NFL on Sunday or Monday. So, it waits until Tuesday.

I am not positive, but I seem to recall this change having something to do with the fact of battling the NFL for ratings and also something to do with scheduling now involving TBS.

My apologies for the off-topic question, but is it still FOX who has the broadcast rights for the World Series?

Man oh man, how I loathe what FOX does to baseball broadcasts, I was hoping their contract was finally up and I'd never have to hear Joe Buck ever again.

My apologies for the off-topic question, but is it still FOX who has the broadcast rights for the World Series?

Man oh man, how I loathe what FOX does to baseball broadcasts, I was hoping their contract was finally up and I'd never have to hear Joe Buck ever again.

Not off topic at all my friend. Unfortunately I do not know the answer, but I pray that it won't be on FOX. Buck & McCarver together are like nails on a blackboard to me. The only thing worse is when they play that ever obnoxiously annoying engine revving sound when showing a replay, then they play that same sound effect again when returning to live action. Somebody please make it stop already...

Humbly,

Bill

Fox still does have the World Series, TBS has the divisional round, and maybe one of the LCS, not sure about that though.

I think Joe Buck does a good job and personally is one my favorites, however McCarver is unbearable and makes everyone around him just awful

Archived