Another MLB Logo Discrepancy

VitaminD

These boards are littered with dozens of threads full of posts bemoaning the fact that the Tigers use 2 different Olde English "D" logos on the same (home) uniform. And there are probably just as many posts griping that the Yankees use multiple interlocking "NY" monograms that look just a little bit different from one another.

But one that's gone almost unnoticed is what the Braves do with their "A" monogram. The lines of the "A" on the caps are sharp and thin, and the top of the letter comes to a discernible point. But on the batting helmets, the strokes are considerably thicker, and the top of the "A" is more rounded. Worse still, when they wear their road uniforms, the first "A" in "Atlanta" is somewhat of a cross between the two in terms of thickness and the point that the letter comes to at its top. During the early '80s (The Biff Pocoroba Era), when the Braves had the powder blue road set, the first "A" in "Atlanta" more or less matched the cap "A". But the helmet "A" has always been different since the Braves went back to the uppercase cursive "A" monogram and scrapped the lowercase "a" monogram.

Does anyone know why this has been this way for over 2 decades?

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Does anyone know why this has been this way for over 2 decades?

Nobody cares.

Or rather, because nobody who has input into these things has seemed to notice or care. I mean, we care, of course. I don't get why the helmet decal is so thick either. Maybe because if it was thinner, it'd be more prone to breaking apart over a season's wear and tear, like we've seen with the wishbone on Bears helmets. But then, you could always have a decal of the current thickness, with navy trim to match the helmet so it appears to match the hat.

I've noticed it too. I liken this situation to the Cardinals with their STL (the T has slanted edges on the caps, but straight edges on the batting helmet and in all other applications).

The difference in script doesn't bother me so much because sometimes letters and fonts do need to be adjusted a little different between the hat and uniform script.

In the Cardinals, case, they have one official logo, and it appears on the batting helmets and everywhere else that isn't a cap (some fan caps have the official logo, many use the slanted T). I prefer the unoffical cap logo.

The Braves also have one official logo I believe, and that is their cap logo. The batting helmet logo is the different one. I prefer the cap and official logo in this case.

Those situations do bother me, as they're inconsistant, but something about them being a very fixable (even though they unfortunatley haven't been) mistake makes it a little better than teams intentionally using two somewhat similar but pretty different logos.

And that's the case of the Tigers and Yankees. Now, if it were a simple matter of it needing to be bolder on the jersey and thinner on the caps, that'd be no problem. But they don't do that. They just have two different versions. And that really bothers me. Off hand, I don't know which versions I prefer. I think I prefer the Yanks jersey logo, and the Tigers cap logo, but I'd have to look to be sure.

So, right now we've got...

Unofficial Monogram cap logo variations: Cardinals, Braves

Official Monogram cap logo variations: Yankees, Tigers

(Interestingly, I think these were my top 4 teams in my seeding, and I'm a stickler for consistancy. When I originally seeded I was intending to have all four teams have byes too. Hm.)

Anybody know of any others? And, something as simple as a color change (Oakland for example), or the addition of an outline (San Diego for example) do not count.

The A's don't use the logo's A on their hats. It's thinner.

Thinner in what way? Like I'm open to a team making a logo LESS bold for hats, but if they modify the actualy shape, that's where it starts to bother me.

Of course, seeing as the A's logo doesn't appear on the uniforms, I'm not sure why they wouldn't just put the one that's on the hats in the logo, bold or not.

I'd rather they just streamlined things and went with the hat logo at all times, which is a better piece of work than this puffy thing they have now. e.g.,

oakfixed.jpg

• LMU locked this topic

Archived