Angels vs. Orioles, June 27th 2007

Shumway

I went to Camden Yards last Friday since the Halos were in town. I got $6 tickets in the upper left field seats, then simply walked down to the Standing Room section and stood behind the bullpens. My camera sucks at motion capture as well as distances, so some are kinda blurry.

100_0120.jpg

Hector Carrasco, throwing rocks at a cup at the Orioles bullpen. He's been designated for assignment since then.

100_0121.jpg

Robb Quinlan warms up

100_0122.jpg

Scot Shields, walking to the bathroom

100_0123.jpg

Francisco "K-Rod" Rodriguez talking to some woman

100_0124.jpg

Scot Shields, warming up, I believe

100_0125.jpg

Scot Shields....blurry as hell. I've never seen a guy throw so hard in the 'pen.

100_0126.jpg

Bullpen catcher...probably the greatest job in the whole world.

100_0127.jpg

K-Rod's crazy "batting stance". He throws ridiculously hard as well. The crack of the mitt was deafening.

100_0128.jpg

Darren Oliver, standing around, being old. (He's probably younger than I think he is)

100_0129.jpg

Howie Kendrick, fresh off his game winning 2-run blast. I think I had my flash on here, so it's darker? Doesn't make sense, but that's what happened.

100_0130.jpg

Howie again, as well as Gary Matthews, Jr.

100_0131.jpg

Gary Matthews, along with Vlad.

I failed to get a good shot of Aubrey Huff after he hit for the cycle. I was busy applauding. Plus, they took him out of the game immediately.

100_0129.jpg

Howie Kendrick, fresh off his game winning 2-run blast. I think I had my flash on here, so it's darker? Doesn't make sense, but that's what happened.

I'm assuming you're using the Auto setting on your camera.

Flash is only effective if the subject is somewhere between 5 and 10 feet away from you, with an auto setting your camera will also increase it's shutter speed when flash is fired (flash = brighter subject = quicker shutter speed)... but when the subject doesn't actually get effected by the flash it'll appear darker than usual.

When it's dark out you want to have a slower shutter speed, the slower the shutter speed the more light it lets into the camera, problem is if you shake in this situation you'll get a blurry picture.

The ideal setting for a night time sporting event would be higher iso, lower shutter speed, no flash, tripod (if one is allowed, if not always use the eye-hole to take the photo and try to rest against a stationary object to reduce shaking)... now when it's a day game and the sun is shining you can get some really great photos!

I took this photo with those settings I just mentioned (with no tripod) during a night game, and it turned out nicely

13504.jpg

I'm not good at explaining things, so I hope I answered it for you.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Yeah, it makes sense. I actually turned my camera off for a while, and when I turned it back on, the flash is back on. I jus forgot to reset it. My camera actually has a 'sports' setting, but when I used it before, it didn't make any difference. I think the reason why some of mine are really blurry is that I don't really have a steady hand when using a camera. Plus, on the ones of Howie Kendrick and the outfielders, I used the 'extra zoom' dealy, so I kind of expected them to turn out blurry. I haven't really had time to mess around with my camera yet, so I'll hopefully get the hang of it sometime relatively soon.

Yeah, it makes sense. I actually turned my camera off for a while, and when I turned it back on, the flash is back on. I jus forgot to reset it. My camera actually has a 'sports' setting, but when I used it before, it didn't make any difference. I think the reason why some of mine are really blurry is that I don't really have a steady hand when using a camera. Plus, on the ones of Howie Kendrick and the outfielders, I used the 'extra zoom' dealy, so I kind of expected them to turn out blurry. I haven't really had time to mess around with my camera yet, so I'll hopefully get the hang of it sometime relatively soon.

The 'sports' setting will likely result in more dark photos - what that setting does is increase your shutter speed (much like using the flash does) in order to capture action, but when it's dark out it wouldn't be very effective.

Sports setting would look great for a day game though.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Nice pics, Shum. It just sucks that the game you went to, both teams had to wear two of the ugliest uniforms in the league (at least I think.) Oh, by the way, Darren Oliver is 37. He ain't a young guy, but he's no Julio Franco. :D

-E.A.R.

Nice pics, Shum. It just sucks that the game you went to, both teams had to wear two of the ugliest uniforms in the league (at least I think.) Oh, by the way, Darren Oliver is 37. He ain't a young guy, but he's no Julio Franco. :D

-E.A.R.

Yeah, I was kinda upset that both teams wore alternates. I actually don't mind the Angels red alts after seeing them in person. I mean, if they HAVE to have the red letters on red jerseys, I think they pulled off acceptably, alhough white letters(or a blue jersey) would be for the better.

I didn't think Oliver was in his 40s, but I knew he wasn't exactly a young guy. I actually forgot he even played for the Angels. I saw him walk out, and i was just like, man, Darren Oliver's been around the league for a long time. It could be that he's played for like 9 teams in his career. On a side note, he was giving baseballs to little kids...I always like when guys do that, although I'd like to get a baseball sometime :D . Scot Shields was a pretty nice guy as well. He always has this smug look, but he was talking to Orioles fans most of the time before he warmed up. Hector Carrasco, as mentioned, just kinda stood around, stretching(although he never even warmed up), and threw rocks. He was pretty good at hitting that cup.

Downsides of the game:

- Kendry Morales was brought up to DH for the Angels. Uggggh.

- Kelvim Escobar didn't win his 10th game (he got a ND)

- The guy in the 90s "CA" cap wouldn't trade me for my hat.

- Vlad didn't dismantle a baseball, although he did double off the wall.

Upsides of the game:

- Unlike when I wore an Edmonds jersey to Philly a week after Rolen was traded, I didn't get threatened, or even commented to by Orioles fans. They're voted the best behaved fans in the league, BTW.

- Howie Kendrick hit a GW HR in the top of the 9th. I called that one in the parking garage. Well, I called a Howie HR, not a game-winner.

- Speaking of parking, we somehow skipped paying $10 at the garage

- I got a free Orioles hat, which ended up in my pocket.

- Aubrey Huff hit for the cycle, one hit was the 1,000th of his career

- Obviously, the Angels won

- It's a baseball game. That alone is a positive.

Archived