UWM (Milwaukee) Panthers hoops concept

illwauk

I redid my alma mater's hoops unis for a couple of reasons. The first being that I never understood why, when UWM is one of only two UW-schools that's colloquially known by its initials... UWGB being the other one. Presumably, this is because they're the only two places in the UW-system that are known for something other than their college. On top of which, there's been a lot of talk about changing the school's name to either Wisconsin State U. (which makes absolutely no sense) or University of Milwaukee (which makes perfect sense). But since they always whine about the costs associated with changing the name, why not work on establishing the the school's identity as "UWM." After all, no one thinks of UCLA as being subservient to Cal.

The other reason is that UWM actually had a pretty consistent identity until they signed with nike and got stuck with a bunch of template jobs (something that has followed them to adidas). Unfortunately, not many people know that because no one paid attention to UWM hoops until they made the NCAA tourney in 2003. So here I tried to tie their current identity in with what they had before (usually gold at home with straight-up black side panels and vice versa). Basically, I tried to tie their current identity in with what their past.

The #4 on the home jersey is for Marc Mitchell, who played ball at my high school (Washington) and led us to a state title in 1991 before playing for the Panthers for two years. The guy he replaced at Washington was some soft, skinny dude named Latrell Sprewell... I wonder what ever happened to him :D

#2 is for Chris Hill, one of my classmates at U-Dub and the starting one-guard on the Sweet Sixteen squad from 2005.

Anyway, you know what to do...

uwm_bb.png

Regarding the identity: "The University of Milwaukee" does make perfect sense, and that should be their identity (like Chicago, Louisville, Miami, Saint Louis, Syracuse, etc.). If UWM wants to stand out, they need to get out from under the "UW" identity that makes them appear inferior to the school 90 minutes west. (UCLA vs. Cal is the exception to the rule.)

This concept is quite plain. If I were doing this, I would borrow from the Marquette of the late '70s or early '80s and do some kind of funky striping or pattern consistent with a panther.

Packers-2.png

To really establish an identity as UWM, they would need a little something more. The uniforms you designed are clean and classy looking, but there is absolutely nothing about them that would make me remember them.

Right now, it looks like you could order these uniforms from an Eastbay catalog.

Like PackerBadger suggested, I would try to add some unique striping or pattern or side panel that would set them apart .

Badger_zps8961c467.png

On top of which, there's been a lot of talk about changing the school's name to either Wisconsin State U. (which makes absolutely no sense) or University of Milwaukee (which makes perfect sense).

Why doesn't that make sense? It used to be "Wisconsin State College?Milwaukee", after all.

I'm all for UWM staking out its own identity. As much as I'd prefer "University of Milwaukee," I recognize the historical precedent for "Wisconsin State University." WSU would also allow them to focus on the amount of undergraduates they get from within the state, which is (IIRC) more than Madison has. Since it presumably serves the state better, a state name makes sense to me.

As much as I'd prefer "University of Milwaukee," I recognize the historical precedent for "Wisconsin State University." WSU would also allow them to focus on the amount of undergraduates they get from within the state, which is (IIRC) more than Madison has. Since it presumably serves the state better, a state name makes sense to me.

That "historical precedent" also applies, however, to most of the other state schools (Whitewater, Eau Claire, Give-Me-Some-Men-Who-Are-STOUT-Hearted-Men, etc.) I don't think WSU is appropriate for Milwaukee because Milwaukee seems to be trying to carve a niche in urban education, and the "State" image doesn't really wash with that. Milwaukee is a doctoral institution, and as such it is probably large enough and unique enough to have its own independent identity, as would happen with "The University of Milwaukee." (And that might propel them to get D-1 football.)

I also think UWGB should similarly be the "University of Green Bay," and Platteville should either be "Wisconsin A&M" (it did start as a mining school" or "Wisconsin Tech." Wikipedia has an interesting entry on this HERE.

Packers-2.png

Oh, I agree that they're big enough to have their own identity.

I don't live in Milwaukee anymore, but on regular visits back it sure seemed to me that UWM was trying to position itself as "Wisconsin's school" (as opposed to the more out-of-state-student UW), hence my comment about the number of state residents it admits.

But I could well support either solution. Still maintain that a change is necessary.

On top of which, there's been a lot of talk about changing the school's name to either Wisconsin State U. (which makes absolutely no sense) or University of Milwaukee (which makes perfect sense).

Why doesn't that make sense? It used to be "Wisconsin State College?Milwaukee", after all.

I'm all for UWM staking out its own identity. As much as I'd prefer "University of Milwaukee," I recognize the historical precedent for "Wisconsin State University." WSU would also allow them to focus on the amount of undergraduates they get from within the state, which is (IIRC) more than Madison has. Since it presumably serves the state better, a state name makes sense to me.

If the reason for the name change is to make UWM seem like it's not inferior to UW-Madison, then it doesn't make sense to replace the "hyphen" stigma with the "State" stigma. Other than Ohio State, no other school with state in its name isn't seen as inferior to the one without it (e.g. Illinois/Illinois State, Indiana/Indiana State, etc.). Besides, let's face it... when people hear "Wisconsin" they think of cows, cheese and small towns. If UWM wants to be seen as "urban" institution, that's not the route to go.

Anyway, my updates are taking longer than usual. I'll get them up eventually tho...

I guess I can see that.

U of Milwaukee it is then, are we agreed?

No doubt...

now that it seems we have a consensus, I'll try to post a "Milwaukee" version along with a the "UWM" version (first exam is coming up and I haven't had much time to work on it)...

Archived