Tampa Bay Rays Concept

patsox

TBBB.png

Here it is....blue, gold, light blue. This is basically my take on the proper use of these colors for a baseball team in Tampa Bay. Hopefully you like this idea better than what they came up with. Constructive criticism would be appreciated.

reminds me of a high school baseball team and the logo looks like a padres knock off

This was precisely my first thought. I guess that's not surprising, given the location and climate of both cities, and the color schemes involved. That said, the logo is a little ambitious; while the triangle of water gives the allusion of home plate, that's lost in the top half of the logo, as a round sun rises over the triangle where the top of home plate would be square. A square sun would certainly look worse than a rounded plate, but either way it's a case of trying to cram too much into one image. Here, the whole is less than the sum of its parts.

As for the uniforms, I'm not a big fan of the wordmark. I'm OK with the font, even if it doesn't knock me out of my seat. It's more that the lettering goes straight across, where most lettering is arced, arched, or slanted up and to the right as the word is read. Straight across works with some cursive fonts (Phillies, Astros), but not many print fonts. And the use of large and small capitals is disruptive to the eye. On the whole, where's the light blue? It makes an appearance in the primary logo, but it's nowhere to be found in the jersey, pants or cap. I'm all for the combo of athletic gold and royal blue, but much mention has been made of the light blue. You'd think it would show up here somewhere.

It's OK, but it's not the kind of thing I'd remember.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Do something about that wordmark. Arch it, slant it, do something. I think you should also put names on the uniforms because since (your take on ) the Rays are one of the two newest teams in MLB. Names would probably work better on a newer team like this and would make the uniforms look less bland. You should also tinker with the cap logo because it is just a floating "T" and "B". They aren't connected, interlocked, or anything, and it looks odd. Perhaps on your primary logo you could actutally add an outline on what looks like would be home plate. Not bad, just bland.

Archived