GA Basketball Coaches Association

leggman01

not sure what happened with the first post, but here goes try number 2

i've got a buddy who is a college hoops coach in GA and is starting a state basketball coaches association - he tapped me for the logo - he wanted something pretty simple and understated - originally i played with some basketball imagery in the "C", but the NABC already does that - ultimately we decided on the state of GA in the A - i haven't sent him the final files, so bring on the c&c - thanks and enjoy!

gabcaki7.png

jldesigns404eo.png

I've seen the state-as-the-negative-space-of-a-letter-thing so many times, I'm really tired of it. I think this has potential - especially considering the iconography of the peach - perhaps a basketball as a peach? or have a peach with the seams of a basketball, something more dynamic and personal to the state of georgia than the shape of the state for the negative space in the "a".

OD_Signature.jpg

I've seen the state-as-the-negative-space-of-a-letter-thing so many times, I'm really tired of it. I think this has potential - especially considering the iconography of the peach - perhaps a basketball as a peach? or have a peach with the seams of a basketball, something more dynamic and personal to the state of georgia than the shape of the state for the negative space in the "a".

Great idea, but a little late

MENS-FF_48ho7edpmmrheuekhs7v.gif

AU-USU-Scoreboard.gif

Great idea, but a little late

MENS-FF_48ho7edpmmrheuekhs7v.gif

AU-USU-Scoreboard.gif

Sweet irony. Anyway, Mr. Legg, I think you have an idea here for a classic looking mark that will do the organization well, but there are a few things that you need to do to move this from 'blah' to 'wow!' First, I think the Georgia is way too small. What if you removed the crossbar of the A and enlarged the Georgia to fill in that whole (much larger) area of negative space, or took the Georgia and made it as large as the A, then cut out the wedge and added a crossbar to make an A that is shaped like Georgia on the outside. Second, instead of that boring old box housing the name down there, try a stylized banner or something a little more, you know, fun. Check out Todd Radom's banners for some ideas.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Sweet irony. Anyway, Mr. Legg, I think you have an idea here for a classic looking mark that will do the organization well, but there are a few things that you need to do to move this from 'blah' to 'wow!' First, I think the Georgia is way too small. What if you removed the crossbar of the A and enlarged the Georgia to fill in that whole (much larger) area of negative space, or took the Georgia and made it as large as the A, then cut out the wedge and added a crossbar to make an A that is shaped like Georgia on the outside. Second, instead of that boring old box housing the name down there, try a stylized banner or something a little more, you know, fun. Check out Todd Radom's banners for some ideas.

great suggestions...i'm going to work on making some of these things happen...did you get in touch with lee re: the web design project for this?

by the way, i won't be offended if you work a logo for the organization into the cost of the website design...your logo work is FAR superior to mine, and if lee can afford you, my ego and the pay for this project aren't that big :)

jldesigns404eo.png

Whenever I look at this, I think of the ACC logo.

really?? why??

here is my revised version - better or worse?

gabca1id8.png

tempest - i took a look at radom's banners, and they're incredible, but i kind of want to go with something a little more linear for this logo, so i didn't really change it

jldesigns404eo.png

really?? why??

here is my revised version - better or worse?

gabca1id8.png

tempest - i took a look at radom's banners, and they're incredible, but i kind of want to go with something a little more linear for this logo, so i didn't really change it

acc_logo.jpg

really?? why??

acc_logo.jpg

beyond the fact that both use an oblique version of futura (i don't think they're the same weight, but i could be wrong) and have the organization name under the logo, i don't see a strong resemblence...the font is applied in a very different manner in these two logos, as is the organizational name below, and the acc logo uses no imagery, whatsoever - i'm not trying to be defensive, but using the logic you've applied, EVERY logo which uses an oblique version of futura will remind you of the acc logo...

jldesigns404eo.png

Yeah, he emailed me and asked if he could call me and discuss a project, but I haven't heard from him. I guess now that I know it's a website design project, I should tell him that I don't currently have the resources to design a website.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Honestly, I think these work the best.

gabcaki7.png

In regards to these ones:

gabca2qs3.gif

Number one looks-for lack of a better term- sloppy, just because of the shape of the state, not because of anything you did.

Number two; the state of Georgia is too ambiguous of a shape to stand in for the letter 'A'.

But if it's between these two, definitely Numero Uno. (the more I look at it, the better it looks, actually)

Badger_zps8961c467.png

• 3 months later...

here is the logo in action...

http://www.gabca.org/

solid site design...it's very easy to navigate, i like that they used futura (or a close facsimile) in all of the graphic text elements to echo the logo - i recommended they use some color (i like the pallette in my initial proposal), but they really wanted to use the b&w theme

jldesigns404eo.png

Archived