Zoneranger's Whozis #229

zoneranger

Bingo 'red! :D

The alley-oop play was essentially a jump ball were Y.A. Tittle would throw the ball high in the air in the end zone like a jump ball and Owens would go up and get it. Owens was also known for his jumping ability and once blocked a field goal by jumping up at the cross bar and knocking it down. Believe it or not!!

cfg.jpg41QN7ATP9VL._AA280_.jpg

My dad used to talk about him all the time. Now you youngsters will know where the basketball term came from. Beyond that, let's see who can tell us where the term/name came from in the first place (before it was used to describe the passes to R.C. Owens, that is).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

The term "alley-oop" is derived from the French allez-oup, a shout used by French acrobats and gymnasts to signal that they are about to leap. The Anglicized version of the phrase was popularized by the comic strip Alley Oop, which featured the adventures of a caveman of the same name.

Yes, I am a comics geek. Guilty, as charged.

The term "alley-oop" is derived from the French allez-oup, a shout used by French acrobats and gymnasts to signal that they are about to leap. The Anglicized version of the phrase was popularized by the comic strip Alley Oop, which featured the adventures of a caveman of the same name.

Yes, I am a comics geek. Guilty, as charged.

:winner:

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived