Critique please

lucky34

For my 100th post on the boards...I unveil my attempt at vectorizing the Cleveland Brownie.

I have included the original (on the right) along with my vectored version on the left.

Please critique and offer any tips or help or suggestions you may have.  I am trying to get the hang of doing the vectors with illustrator.

also, if anyone wants to try to clean it up or whatever..let me know and I will send you the .ai file.

Brownie comparison

That looks great for your first vectorization.  You may want to spend a little more time on the small details though.  I noticed that on some of those little curves and points you took the easy way out and just make the points sharp and pointed.  Keep in mind that when your dealing with cartoon logos like this that there's a lot of curves and not just jagged points.  Like I said, it's a great vectorization for your first time but when I'm comparing the two I can pick out a lot of imperfections.  I guess you just have to ask yourself if you really care about that stuff.  Maybe it's just me but I look for quality and exact duplicates.

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

i noticed them as well...

I guess my question...HOW do i get rid of those type of "errors"??

I figured out about halfway through the effort...that fewer points is often better. But, I also had problems with trying to get some of the areas "clear" enough to see what actually happend. If that makes sense.

Thanks for the input..I will probably continue to clean it up

as time permits.  But, I guess for my first attempt, it was a nice learning tool

I tried to one of the tutorials mentioned in FAQ that stated to use photoshop to create layers...That didn't really help me out in the fact that many of the curves and points got lost in the "crossover"

I will continue to sharpen my skills and at some point...make a respectable venture into the vector fields!

The best way to eliminate those little errors is get the biggest and highest quality images to vectorize off of.  But if small and medium quality images are all you can get your hands no then some of it has to be on guesstimates.

Yes, less points for curves and points of interest are better than more.  Some people just fail to realize this but it's a good thing you picked it up so soon.

As far as layers are concerned, I think it's a horrible way to vectorize.  Layers can help in the tracing process but as far as having shapes laying onto of other shapes......I just don't think it makes for good vector art.  As time goes on you'll figure out methods that work out best for you.  You're on the right track to just keep it up!

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

i guess i did it using layers...

what i did was trace around the outside of the body in dark brown....then to make it easier on my self...I changed to opacity of the fill to 15% so I could see through it...then went to tracing each part...I don't know if that is the "correct" technique or not....

Archived