Crazy Regular Season Men's Hoops Race

leopard88

With one game left in the regular season, the Patriot League Men's Basketball standings are as follows:

Navy 9-4

American 9-4

Lehigh 6-7

Bucknell 6-7

Lafayette 6-7

Colgate 6-7

Army 5-8

Holy Cross 5-8

The 6-7 teams each play either a 9-4 or 5-8 team this Saturday. Therefore, there is a very distinct possibility of a 6-way tie for third place (not to mention a tie for first, in which case Navy wins the tiebreaker over American by virtue of a season sweep). The entire conference tournament is played on campus sites, so seeding is extremely important.

I know this isn't the most high-profile conference in the country, but I thought this was interesting/unusual enough to share.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

The good ol' Big South Conference is in a similar situation...everyone has one game left, and the standings are as follows:

1. Winthrop, 10-3, next game vs. UNC-Asheville

2. UNC-Asheville, 9-4, next game @ Winthrop

3. High Point, 7-6, next game @ VMI

4. Liberty, 6-7, next game vs. Radford

5. VMI, 6-7, next game vs. High Point

6. Coastal Carolina, 6-7, next game @ Charleston Southern

7. Radford, 5-8, next game @ Liberty

8. Charleston Southern, 3-10, next game vs. Coastal Carolina

Possible outcomes include a tie for first if UNCA beats Winthrop, and a 4-way tie for 3rd place if High Point loses to VMI, Liberty beats Radford and Coastal Carolina beats Charleston Southern. Tie-breakers in this situation are all over the place...only team whose spot is secure is 8th place.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Wow, it's been a while since I heard people talk about conferences with 8 teams. I think the Big East has 16, which is who I'm following.

As for the tie, who are the 6-7 teams facing? That's interesting that one could play a 9-4 team, and another with an equal or nearly equal record plays a 5-8 team.

The good ol' Big South Conference is in a similar situation...everyone has one game left, and the standings are as follows:

1. Winthrop, 10-3, next game vs. UNC-Asheville

2. UNC-Asheville, 9-4, next game @ Winthrop

3. High Point, 7-6, next game @ VMI

4. Liberty, 6-7, next game vs. Radford

5. VMI, 6-7, next game vs. High Point

6. Coastal Carolina, 6-7, next game @ Charleston Southern

7. Radford, 5-8, next game @ Liberty

8. Charleston Southern, 3-10, next game vs. Coastal Carolina

Possible outcomes include a tie for first if UNCA beats Winthrop, and a 4-way tie for 3rd place if High Point loses to VMI, Liberty beats Radford and Coastal Carolina beats Charleston Southern. Tie-breakers in this situation are all over the place...only team whose spot is secure is 8th place.

The teachers at my school have a joke about Radford. They say that they're such a party school, the only requirement to get into there is if you can hold your liquer.

The teachers at my school have a joke about Radford. They say that they're such a party school, the only requirement to get into there is if you can hold your liquer.

Nothing else to do in Southwestern Virginia ^_^

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Archived