Getting additional work...idea...

Cola

I was curious for any of you who do any graphic design work either professionally, part-time, or just for some extra cash from time to time...when things get slow, what do you think of this idea.

I see a lot of businesses around the area with some CRAPPY logos, signs, etc...some have no identity whatsoever. I figured the reasons behind this are either a) they didnt have the creativity B) didnt know how to go about finding a designer c) didnt have the money or d) were rushed when starting the business and identity wasnt important.

Now, have any of you ever tried this tactic or do you think it would work...find some of the worst company logos in your area, redesign them something 10x better than what they have or at least upgrade their current logo, send them an e-mail with a watermarked JPEG, letting them know of your services, that you noticed their logo, how having an eye-catching design would help their business and presence, then offer to sell them the logo?

What do you guys think?

Only problem with that is you may end up offending them by slagging off their logo that they personally may have come up with. Other than that its a decent method if you need some work, plus it will help you keep on top of your skills

logo.png

I'd not do it via e-mail, but instead go into the location in person, armed with a small portfolio featuring the potential new look. Granted it may take a little more effort, but odds are it'll make a much more significant impression. Also, NEVER denigrate the existing look - with small business especially, there may be some behind-the-scenes thing behind it that breeds sentimentality (example: Toledo Storm, ECHL). Simply present your design as a chance for the business to "relaunch" itself, attracting potential customers and generating business.

nav-logo.png

That's good advise. You don't want to bash the current logo because it has a very high likely hood of being designed by either the person you are talking to, or someone very close to the person you're talking to.

I don't think its a terrible idea to do, however, be ready for lots of rejection. Sometimes its better to try and gain them as a client before actually doing work for them. Your time is money. If you charge $75 an hour, you should think of the time you're working on concepts and what we call spec art as losing $75 an hour. Then decide if its truly worth the potential gains.

Just make sure you don't show up to rebrand one of your own logos :D

Archived