How does this rate among worst color matches?

OCE

http://www.clubsonline.com.au/shop/index.c...&OrgID=1746

Those greens aren't even close! Do they look that different on the field, too?

Personally, I like the lighter green.

That's a lot worse than AS Roma or the old Minn. Vikings.

I don't count the Rams and the Giants because I don't think there was ever really an attempt to match the helmets to the jerseys.

Sorry I tried to stick this on the AFL thread but I couldn't find it!

I'm actually working on providing a service that will help with this problem (warning - temporary page "under construction"):

ColorWerks

Sometimes - for whatever reason - the teams will actually specify a different color for one uniform element vs. another. For example, the L.A. Rams:

LosAngelesRams_FRC_1994_SOL.jpg

...and the Philadelphia Eagles:

PhiladelphiaEagles_FRC_1984_SOL.jpg

And then other times, I think that it's just either sloppy manufacturing, or in this case - a possibility that the sock manufacturer didn't have a close match for the Green fabric used in the shirts.

What I find interesting is the VERY unusual color combo: Purple, Green, Red (and white)..... I don't think I've ever seen that mix before.

Red and green are the colors of port navigation markers, and purple is probably just because there wasn't yet a team in the league wearing purple.

The best looking jumper they had was when they deviated from that, though, and wore a mainly green shirt.

http://www.fullpointsfooty.net/fremantle_(2).htm

I'm actually working on providing a service that will help with this problem (warning - temporary page "under construction"):

ColorWerks

Sometimes - for whatever reason - the teams will actually specify a different color for one uniform element vs. another. For example, the L.A. Rams:

LosAngelesRams_FRC_1994_SOL.jpg

...and the Philadelphia Eagles:

PhiladelphiaEagles_FRC_1984_SOL.jpg

And then other times, I think that it's just either sloppy manufacturing, or in this case - a possibility that the sock manufacturer didn't have a close match for the Green fabric used in the shirts.

See I wouldn't have even guessed that the Eagles' shirts didn't match their helmets. Back in the '80s that was what counted for a good color match. Then teams started wearing teal/jade/turquoise then they came out with some new metallic colors (pewter) and screwed everything up. As for that web site :blink: It's a good thing they have professionals for that LOL! :wacko:

Everyone knew the Rams helmets didn't match, but I just assumed it was a difficulty in coloring from way back or something and something they never fixed. Maybe it was and they just decided to specify it instead of change it.

(Kinda like those blasted Yankees logos...not to keep bringing them up...just when they fit...)

What greens are we referring to here? Logo vs jumper? The lighting is completely different on the player shots, so it's not surprising it doesn't match well.

What I find interesting is the VERY unusual color combo: Purple, Green, Red (and white)..... I don't think I've ever seen that mix before.

Purple (depending on who you believe) may have been an acknowledgement of the Fremantle area's two state league clubs - South Freo (red and white) and East Freo (blue and white). The green and red are prominent in the jumper but the club generally pushes only purple and white in its merchandise - there is a once-a-year jumper worn by the club for charity that replaces the green and red panels with purple, and the regular clash jumper is also white and purple.

See I wouldn't have even guessed that the Eagles' shirts didn't match their helmets. Back in the '80s that was what counted for a good color match. Then teams started wearing teal/jade/turquoise then they came out with some new metallic colors (pewter) and screwed everything up. As for that web site :blink: It's a good thing they have professionals for that LOL! :wacko:

Which website are you referring to?

The green is supposed to be this one

pms348.gif

The jumpers are printed, so they really should be able to get the PMS right for that, but the socks are material.

As for why the AFL's manufacturers produce 'close enough is good enough' colours, it's because the AFL's own Licensing Dept (who actually own the logos) have no idea what PMS numbers are.

They officially define the colour as Green.

I have a copy of the Official Licensing Guide, which lists the PMS colours for each club, and the AFL's own people sometimes call me when a manufacturer calls them.

It is a printed brochure, last put out in 1999, and has not been updated since, even though 9 of the 16 clubs have changed their logos since then.

The AFL sends eps logos to new manufacturers, but the colours in the palette of logos do not list the PMS values.

(Bush League)

The reason they are Purple is because Fremantle was represented by East Freo who wear Blue & White, and South Freo who wear Red & White.

Given White was already going to be in their palette, they mixed the Red & Blue to get Purple.

And, as mentioned before, the Green and Red are included for the Port & Starboard navigation symbols.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

OK. So here's a quick match of some possibilities:

Original Pantone/PMS color:

PMS_348_C.jpg

Closest match for textiles/fabric purposes:

PTX_17-6153_TCX.jpg

(It's called "Fern Green".)

Closest Robison-Anton thread color:

RAN_2240.jpg

(Called "Kelly".)

It really shouldn't be that hard, huh?

Those Greens look virtually the same.

And yet nothing like either their socks, which are Lighter, or their jumpers, which are Darker.

To replicate what the Dockers use on their jumpers I used R:0 G:74 B:42 for the green they use.

On my PC, PMS 348 is R:1 G:106 B:58

Fremantle-Home-2005.gif

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

Those Greens look virtually the same.

And yet nothing like either their socks, which are Lighter, or their jumpers, which are Darker.

To replicate what the Dockers use on their jumpers I used R:0 G:74 B:42 for the green they use.

On my PC, PMS 348 is R:1 G:106 B:58

See, PMS 348 C isn't actually R:01 G:106 B:58. What you're referring to is how your graphics program is interpreting that color. Adobe products (Illustrator, Photoshop, etc.) convert the colors to the selected color space (e.g., sRGB, Adobe) from CIE-L*ab - which IS the most accurate method of reproducing color on computer monitors, but it's still a conversion.

Pantone/X-Rite measures their colors (let's all remember that these colors are ink mixes in the first place) for RGB and provides these values for two color spaces - the sRGB255 color space, and the Adobe RGB (1998) color space. These two different sets are the only true representations of a particular color. Here are two examples of PMS 348 C - one showing the sRGB values, and another one showing the Adobe RGB (1998) values:

PMS_348_C_Full_SRGB.jpg

PMS_348_C_Full_AD98.jpg

And keep in mind that CMYK values are ALSO just interpretations of that color. CMYK values are just approximations of the selected spot color for printing. Pantone/PMS spot colors are NOT CMYK (or RGB for that matter) colors, but these measurements allow us to represent them in different ways.

Oh - and the Green you used in the uniform graphic is a close match to PMS 3435 C.

Archived