"Take Me Out To The Ballgame" logo

Sabrejeff

I like the gratuitous sponsor logo. And why Baby Ruth? They couldn't get Cracker Jack? Good thing Baby Ruth at least has peanuts in it!

I never thought of that till I read this, but that is such a great idea. How stupid not to have Cracker Jack.

MildlyPsycho.png

Realsig.png

I like the gratuitous sponsor logo. And why Baby Ruth? They couldn't get Cracker Jack? Good thing Baby Ruth at least has peanuts in it!

I never thought of that till I read this, but that is such a great idea. How stupid not to have Cracker Jack.

Or Planters.

I'm not a huge fan of the Standard Major League Event font, but it's better than most of the World Series fonts of the past decade.

Disagree! Disagree! They've had some excellent WS logos lately.

Oh, wait, you mean just the fonts? Then never mind. Good WS logos. Crap WS fonts.

But I don't get the lettering on this logo. When I look at it, the first thing that hits me is the question, "Why don't the T and the M look like the O and the B?" It's really, really distracting typography. And the simple rule of thumb is that anytime you notice the typography as typography, it's bad typography.

I actually like the swooshy/blocky Opening Day style of MLB lettering. It looks baseball uniform-y without too closely echoing any team's actual uniform lettering. But you've either got to use the swooshy letter for all initial caps (except articles and prepositions) or you've got to use it for the one most important word ("ballgame").

20082614447.png

I'm not a huge fan of the Standard Major League Event font, but it's better than most of the World Series fonts of the past decade.

Oh, wait, you mean just the fonts? Then never mind. Good WS logos. Crap WS fonts.

Haven't the last few WS logos been just type? How could you like the logo and not the fonts?

Haven't the last few WS logos been just type? How could you like the logo and not the fonts?

You're mostly right. The pre-2007 WS logos have been so bad that I've more or less mentally blocked them out in favor of the 2007 WS logo:

ws_logo_07_325.jpg

Which combines terrible type with great graphics as I describe. I had somehow persuaded myself that this was a logo used for several years, not a one-off. Shame, because with better type this would be among the best WS logos of all time.

20082614447.png

Archived