Project Yakyu: Yokohama BayStars

Discrim

Project Yakyu Series so far:

1-Tokyo Yakult Swallows

Central League pennants: 1960 as Taiyo Whales, 1998 as BayStars (2 total)

Japan Series titles: 1960, 1998 (2 total)

Notable players:

If the Kintetsu Buffaloes were Japan's posterboys for futility, the BayStars weren't too far behind em. The good news for em: every time they win the league pennant, they also win the Japan Series. The problem is winning the pennant, which they've only managed to do twice. Yeh, it's kinda hard being in the same league as the Yomiuri Giants...anyways, before the 92 season the Whales became the BayStars due in part to Japan's changing attitude towards whaling, and a belief that dead whales were bringing the team bad luck. Though I'm more inclined to attribute their poor fortunes to being in the same league as the Giants, new symbolism won out, though after winning the Japan Series 10 years ago, they've slipped back to midtable.

Onto the logo set...

baystarsid.png

the primary is meant to harken back to the Whales era, while at the same time suggesting some semblance of a bay within a star. Admittedly, I might have laid the whale's outlines a tad too thick...the cap logo is based on the same theme, a bay's waves and a shooting star forming a Y. The primary colors are royal blue and pale yellow (versus just royal blue in reality), with lighter shades of blue present in the striping and trim, and navy blue only on the primary logo and wherever the whale is in use.

Home uniform

baystarshome.png

I actually do like what they have for their homes, but not enough to keep it around.

Road uniform

baystarsroad.png

Third/TATC-ish uniform

baystarsthird.png

once again, have your say...

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I love the word mark you have on the home jersey. There's something just... perfect about it. Overall that whole uniform is great. Simple lines, nice colors, great logos. For some reason the away just doesn't do it for me. I think it's because I'm not a fan of how much more of the greenish/yellow is used, plus I'd like to see all the green/yellow on the jersey switched to white, and then have the pants be white. As for the alternate/TATC, you know I've always been a fan of stuff that is crazy and out there and this is no exception, I love it. As much as I disliked the green/yellow on the road, it's perfect on the alt. Nice work again.

I like the primary logo, looks very Japanese. The cap logo isn't doing it for me at all. I get that you're trying to go for the Y and all, but angling the waves just isn't working. You're better off just getting rid of the waves altogether and having the star and tail as the cap logo, that'd look much better. Big fan of the home uniforms, LOVE that Baystars wordmark. Again like the above poster the away is below average. Not a fan of the turn ahead the clock style either. But I love the unique piping on the other two.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

Archived