Sam Houston St logo

mantleisthebest7

Hey y'all!

I came across something that caught my attetion...in not so good of a way. I found this Sam Houston State logo and I have to say, the Bearcat head closely resemble that of the Detroit Tigers primary logo used from 1994-2005. I mean, it's not fully and exactly alike, but theres certain features of it that resemble very closely. Take a look:

j7celaiwi3b5bkggnpq7.gif

7197.gif

So what do you guys think? To me at least it looks very similar. The head shape and certain mouth and eye features especially. But am I just seeing things or is this really something?

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

realsaltlake.pngsaltlake-1.png

A BearKat is a fictious animal that is a vicous as a bear and as cunning as a kat, or something along those lines is what the University says (No, really, that is what they tell the stuent body).

A real Bearcat is some small asian mammal that is really friendly, harmless, and smells like burnt popcorm when in heat (or so says the textbooks).

I guess BearKats is better then being the Sam Houston State Normals (nickname when they were a teachers college), but then again the Sam Houston State Ravens doesnt sound half bad (proposed change in the 1960's)

The main logo used around campus and town is the interlocked SH logo, all offical documents just use the school seal (SHSU around Sam Houston statue)

~~the dmr~~

Nice to see some SHSU discussion on this board. I graduated from Sam in 1999. The above poster is right about the simple interlocking "SH" being the more popular logo on campus and in bookstores.

Crazy story, I worked in the SHSU Athletic Dept when I was a student and Sam tried to convert to the simple orange paw as their primary logo. They painted the logo on campus, in the fitness center, etc.. and were about start putting it all over the athletic facilities until Clemson sent a non-too polite letter. Sam ceased further action with the "paw" and switched to their current identity.

The simple "SH" logo still appears on this banner:

shsu_logo.gif

and was Sam's look for many years. Most prefer this to the current look. They recently used this helmet for a few years.. a little too "kit-kat" for my taste:

Sam_Houston_St_OLD6.gif

..and now use this; which I actually like, but would prefer a simple, white "SH" on an orange helmet.

Sam_Houston_St.gif

Archived