Optimus Thread: Apprentice Challenge 5

Cola

Alright team, let's get on it. I would expect more interaction from the team as a whole this time since a logo isn't requested- ideas and designs for a uniform are the requirements.

No idea for Oregon, obviously, is too "out there." Let's see what we can come up with.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This baby will have to be SOD -- does anyone have a template? Also on the subject of templates, I'm curious as to what you guys think which we should use, mainly for football. Should we go for an action template

Also:

-Do people think we should use existing logos and not alter/create anything new?

-Does anyone have good (hopefully vector) copies of these logos with the correct colors (we have SSUR if not). Here is one I found in any case.

-Should the two uniforms be, well, uniform? As in, should certain elements be in both of them (piping, jersey cuts, etc)?

-Should we create our own elements, like I said piping and cuts, etc. or use existing ones? I'm thinking we have to.

And the biggest question of all: How many alternates? :P

I'm interested to hear some other members' thoughts and just show they're here. Losing Bruschi is big so we'll have to work fast, deadline is Saturday.

alright guys...i got some ideas- just a warning the next couple of weeks, you might not want to rely on me too much. I'm moving to Cedar Rapids on Sunday so this week is all about packing and the following weekend I have a family reunion. I'll be here when I can and let you guys know when I'll be here around deadlines.

brewerssig.jpg

Troy, before you go, can you close the poll on the Goalie Helmet Comp.? It keeps getting bumped every time it gets a vote.

Anyway, in the short advance period (did anyone else do anything? GBM said he didn't even get the message), I was able to cook up one idea. For football, I am pretty much clueless, so I just worked with basketball:

BasketballPrototype.png

You can't see all of my handwriting because I cropped it a bit, but basically it says that the side panels can be cut and mesh inserts put in place. A lot of teams in college and the pros have mesh side panels (such as these), but the mesh generally extends from under the arms to the bottom of the cut. These new jerseys allow for designs and patterns to be cut into the sides, with mesh panels going under the base fabric (on the inside), or sewn to the side.

I said it would pitched as "improved cooling technologies and dynamic sweat control," just because that's a way to sell it. If anything, it's like a mix of mesh side panels and the sides of the Majestic "Cool-Base" baseball jerseys, plus the fact that they can be mass-produced in a number of different cuts and styles.

Anyway, in the short advance period (did anyone else do anything? GBM said he didn't even get the message), I was able to cook up one idea. For football, I am pretty much clueless, so I just worked with basketball:

Just wanted you to know, I sent the PM to GBM, but his inbox was full, so he never got it....

Shiny, I like your idea for the basketball uniform so far- I think it could be worked a few different ways and even for football (at least the look). I am going to try and find a way to make mesh appear realistic in Illustrator so I can put your sketch into a solid format.

I also think a custom font is in order- if anyone has time, sketch some numbers out and think outside the box with them...just not TOO outside the box.

Alright, I have a SOD template but it doesn't have a good angle view...so I modified the Nike Fit Shirt template I created for the Athlete Identity Challenge to make it look like the SOD uniforms. Anyways, here is what I did with using the idea from Shiny- thoughts?

OregonBasketball_jersey.jpg

Well, I wasn't really done with it actually...but I don't want to get TOO outside of the box here just for the sake of being different and it being UGLY lol. I'm gonna work on it a tad bit more and also do some football uniforms like it.

Here is a bit more. Right now I am running low on ideas...so feel free to post any you may have or throw up some sketches if you want them vectored. The only thing I am totally against is using any gradient. It isn't making a come back. Not in my world anyways. Ever.

OregonBasketball_setSOD.jpg

Alright, nice work Cola. First things first, I don't love the font you used but that can be fixed later. I like the mesh but I think the colors should be changed up, another thing that can be fixed later. For the basketball, I do like it but it seems rather tame, especially for a SOD. I think we could do more. What if we made the "O" logo the shape of the collar or striping around the neck or armhole? Know what I'm saying? I also the font is too big for the front of the jersey but that's minor.

I might try to work something up but nothing concrete is coming to me now. Remember though, if any of you have any wild ideas, try them out. This is supposed to be "Revolutionary."

It's very tough to make a deadline for this since there are 2 equally important elements and not a long time, but I'm going to say I am aiming to have the Basketball identity finished by Wednesday, August 13th at 11:59 PM Pacific Time and the Football identity finished by Thursday, August 14th at 11:59 PM Pacific Time. I think it would be ideal to have a day to go back and alter anything, put on finishing touches and look it all over so the Final Presentation should be finished by Friday, August 15th at 11:59 PM Pacific Time.

Also, tell me what you guys think of these fonts for whatever use we may have for them. I personally like the Prototype font a lot but it looks familiar.

Prototype is nice...but it is too similar to their current wordmark, which goes against what they have been doing. We really don't need to focus on changing any actual letters up, in my opinion. Finding a font that has a funky but nice numeral set is what is important- if we are going to keep their current wordmark, which I think we should due to their current "O" logo.

I'm not a great fan of the font I chose either, I just thought it looked "Oregon" in the sense they have been using lately...but I am totally for another font.

As far as making a O from the shape of the neck or armhole...that is going to be tough and if done even decent- I am afraid it will appear forced.

In the same thinking...I was thinking about doing some piping or striping from the top of the jersey downwards...and then from the bottom upwards to where it forms an "O"...or even try to find a sneaky way to put the whole "O" on the front of the jersey very large...but maybe a shade darker than the green they use now to make it appear to be some other material- like a polyester look or something like they use on their unis now- just for an accent. Hard to explain, but I will try something.

My internet is down at home from a storm this past weekend...so I am going to be working on this from work (haha) mostly...unless I find my flash drive.

What else you guys got? Let's see some ideas, fonts, designs, etc!

that is REALLY along the lines of what I was saying when I said make the "O" really large on the chest instead of trying to force it from the neck or armholes. I like that a lot...a few tweaks and it could be golden.

Good job, Cola, for running with the mesh idea. The wordmark and numbers look out of place, but it gets the idea across... I also imagined the white jersey would have green mesh, because the yellow looks washed out. But good job getting the idea across. The first one you posted looks much better and more like what I imagined, in my opinion.

For GBM's, the Oregon "O" is an iconic mark. Here, though, it seems too big to be functional. Maybe it's just me, but it looks like those T-shirts with senselessly large graphics. It could work, so I'm on the fence about it overall, but I don't really "get it." I'll hold my judgment for now and maybe try to work with it tonight or tomorrow.

Prototype looks great for letters, but none of them is great with numbers. I like Maas Slicer numbers the most out of these, but I'll see what else there is. Should the basketball and football numbers be the same?

#2 - black and silver and NOT official athletic colors. They've been met with much disdain by students and alumni alike.

obviously, they aren't hearing your cries. anyhow, are the greens in both of our concepts off?

Archived