NYPD

nyischremp44

I'll ask the same questions I did when NoHoJoe proposed a redesign of New York state license plates ...

Are you actually affiliated with the NYPD?

Are you in a position where these designs can be seen by someone who has the power to change the badge design?

Can you guarantee that one of the submitted designs would be used?

Is the NYPD actively soliciting new designs?

Unless the answer to each and every one of these questions is "Yes," then I won't waste my time with this. Because, to be perfectly honest, it sounds like you want someone else to do work so you can send it in to the NYPD, where it will probably get ignored ? or, on the off-chance one is actually selected, take the credit.

just thought it would be fun. I have no interest in using the designs in any way. Just thought it would be a way to have everyone show off their skills and creativeity..and then decide on a winner. wow you guys are so uptight here. NEVERMIND.

Chill dude.

It's all good.

He was asking questions, trying to make it easier for you so that a million other people don't ask the same question.

And maybe because some people like to have an ultimate prize, before doing something this time consuming.

It's not a bad idea though.

|Β BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANSΒ |

Β 

it's posts like these that have caused trouble in the past. A lot of us are professional designers, so something like this, were it actually affiliated with the NYPD would be something we'd be interested in designing. However, when it's "just for fun" it causes us to raise our hackles. Just an FYI.

OD_Signature.jpg

This thread has been gnawing away at me for the past 24 hours since I posted, and I realize I was a little harsh on the original poster, for which I'd like to apologize. In re-reading it, I see that you certainly were not intending to take credit for anything that was posted (unlike the thread I referenced, wherein that poster planned to submit entries to the NY DMV) and that part of the post was unwarranted.

I think what got my hackles up, as gordie_delini put it, was the use of the word "contest," which usually implies some kind of reward at the end, some kind of light at the end of the tunnel. There have been "contests" around here before where the "winner" has his work stolen, gets shafted, and the organizer is never heard from again. I'm not saying any of this was your intent; just explaining why it raises red flags.

If you want to try and solicit designs, go for it, but don't be surprised if people don't flock to it. Heck, even if you want to try and do one yourself, most people around here would be happy to offer pointers and tips, and it may be more of a learning experience than you ever imagined. But I think avoiding the word "contest" is best for everyone.

Anyway, yeah. I'm sorry for reacting the way I did.

Archived