Toronto Knights

PWG44

I am just left wondering about the asymmetrical road design. My mind tells me there must be some reason for the design to be like that, so please spill the beans. Your work is good enough so that I trust there is a valid design reason. I will respond with more crit after hearing your explanation.

I am just left wondering about the asymmetrical road design. My mind tells me there must be some reason for the design to be like that, so please spill the beans. Your work is good enough so that I trust there is a valid design reason. I will respond with more crit after hearing your explanation.

Thanks for the vote of confidence and the opportunity to explain myself... i probably should have done so in the first place.

My initial idea was a tunic type design... but couldn't get that to work to my liking. There are other teams that I will give it a try with. The sleeve stripes are meant to represent gauntlets from a suit of armor. I also tried to make the socks look like the sleeves, kinda like greaves, but again didn't have the time to make it work correctly. On the away sweater the shoulder is representative of a shoulder shield used for jousting, a silly stick/lance metaphor along with the combat of competition idea... I thought it worked best on the road uni since it was like they were marauding horde conquering far off lands... how's that for designer BS... :P

I could have made the described elements more realistic, but that gets into dye sublimation which starts to look a bit minor leagu-ish... so i tried to get the idea within the predetermined fabric and stitch pattern...

not so sure it works... i might have reached too far and gotten a minor league concept any way... dunno...

but like i said, quick + dirty... that explains the horribly bad crown... execution I say i get a 6.5... idea about a 7 or 8 fun i'll give a full on 10...

thanks for the time and interest... i love these conversations... (especially with someone who i respect and enjoy their work)... it's why i became a designer and why i enjoy it so much

sports_sig_by_PWG44.jpg

I agree with Braden about the block font you used for the name, numbers, and "TORONTO" in the wordmark; I think you could use a font more fitting with the design elements of the jersey and "Knights" in the wordmark. Other than that I'm really impressed by your concepts so far, keep up the good work!

I'd like to see a logo that resembles a Knight. The regal lion look lends itself to the King moniker.

Knights wore the symbol of the king they served... kinda the first jersey or logo, eh? talk about logo creep... like I mention in my description for ERAY, I was going for a pseudo knight uniform... mimicking the armor and tunic... I thought a Knight lp.jpg would be too obvious.. I was looking to have a bit of fun...

I gotta say, that white jersey design is really cool... although I've never been a fan of that number font.
I agree with Braden about the block font you used for the name, numbers, and "TORONTO" in the wordmark; I think you could use a font more fitting with the design elements of the jersey and "Knights" in the wordmark. Other than that I'm really impressed by your concepts so far, keep up the good work!

I tried to use a more "knight-like" typeface but couldn't get anything working the way I liked... time being an issue (no excuse, I know)... I went with the block sports-like numbers...

sports_sig_by_PWG44.jpg

After thinking about it for a while I accept and understand your explanation. The fact is that a jersey shouldn't need a description so that the fans like the design. Somehow though, I liked the design before your explanation. I can't really say why, as I know if would probably look odd on the ice. Something about it felt right though. I think it looks good enough to stick around. The one part you should rework is something you mentioned. The crown. I have no problem with the number font. It works for any sports team, really. I think the problem people have is maybe it is too safe? I'm not sure. I would like to see what else you could come up with, but this isn't a big problem for me. I like the overall look and I could see the quirky road design being the club's calling card in a way. Like at their next redesign they would update the uniforms but keep the road asymmetrical like that. It could easily become part of their history. Keep it up.

Archived