Chicago 2016 Olympic Bid Support Sig

letsgomets1212

NYC for the Olympics? Doubt it. There just simply isn't enough room, unless most activity takes place outside of the city. Then I don't think it would be the same.

New York was a finalist for the 2012 games, I thought they had a solid plan, but going up against London, Paris, Madrid, and Moscow isn't exactly the easiest thing to do.

The only thing that really stopped them, was that they couldn't get their damned stadium together.

Well there's that and London and Paris had ridiculously strong bids. Madrid and Moscow were fine and all but no where near the first two. New York was in the middle, even if the Giants/Jets Stadium idea had come together I still don't think it was a strong enough to beat out Paris, let alone London.

Chicago 2016 > Rio 2016

(Madrid and Tokyo, strong bids but owned by Athens 2004/Torino 2006 and Beijing 2008, sorry)

73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

29, 30, 31, 36, 39, 44, 61, 62, 65, 66, 67, 96, 10

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well to set the record straight, as of now the only potential bids in North America for 2020 are Birmingham (not buying that BS at all), Boston, Twin Cities, Monterrey, and Toronto. Other than that the headliners seem to be Rome, Copenhagen, Istanbul, Lima, Delhi, Busan, Budapest, and Kuala Lampur. In that case I wouldn't exactly bet against Rome, especially if Chicago wins 2016.

As for concept, place the rings inbetween Chicago and 2016, plus keep the 4 stars of the city's flag.

The ICO did give report cards on the finalist; look them up to read how Chicago really stacks up.

http://www.olympic.org/uk/news/olympic_new..._uk.asp?id=2591

Plus former USOC chairman and LAOOC CEO Peter Ueberroyh recently said this to the Sports Business Daily:

How critical is 2016 to the future health of the United States Olympic movement?

Ueberroth: It’s very important. I don’t think it’s critical. I think it’s more critical to the IOC than it is to us.

Why?

Ueberroth: It’s not that the Games haven’t been here in a long time, it’s that they haven’t really been in a major market in the United States. By major market, I’m talking about a place where major companies are located. Chicago and New York are the two spots where you really have a lot of sponsors. You can start down our roster with United Airlines and McDonald’s and so on.

Reported Future Summer Games Bids

Has Mr. Ueberroyh never heard of Coca-Cola, Delta, Home Depot or UPS????? As a native Atlantan I feel obligated to remind Mr. Ueberroth that Atlanta has the 3rd most Fortune 500 companies in the US, behind only NY and Houston.

NYC for the Olympics? Doubt it. There just simply isn't enough room, unless most activity takes place outside of the city. Then I don't think it would be the same.

New York was a finalist for the 2012 games, I thought they had a solid plan, but going up against London, Paris, Madrid, and Moscow isn't exactly the easiest thing to do.

The only thing that really stopped them, was that they couldn't get their damned stadium together.

Well there's that and London and Paris had ridiculously strong bids. Madrid and Moscow were fine and all but no where near the first two. New York was in the middle, even if the Giants/Jets Stadium idea had come together I still don't think it was a strong enough to beat out Paris, let alone London.

Actually, even without the West Side Stadium (which would've been a nightmare first of all, and only for the Jets and Super Bowl 44 second of all), there was a plan to build the olympic stadium where the Mets are building Citifield now, knock down Shea after the 2011 season, have the Mets play 2012 in the Bronx (like the Yankees did in Shea in 1974 and '75), and then pull a Turner Field and revamp the olympic stadium into baseball only...

Here was the plan:

metsnew.jpg

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Archived