Chicago 2016 Olympic Bid Support Sig

letsgomets1212

the problem is that the commitee needs to set up a fair rotating schedule. they need to divide the world into regions and have them alternative evenly. Some countries (such as the US, could be their own region) regions could be:

US

North America (Mex and Can)

Central & South America

Oceania

Africa

Great Britain

Western Europe

Eastern Europe

Asia

The problem with this theory is that some regions have a severely limited list of locales that can afford an Olympics. Now, I'm all in favor of saddling somebody else with the $40 billion price tag, but as stated above, Madrid and Tokyo are out, and the IOC will not take responsibility for completely destroying Brazil's economy.

Amen to that.

Although they didn't seem to have a problem for destroying Greece's.

73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

29, 30, 31, 36, 39, 44, 61, 62, 65, 66, 67, 96, 10

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Plus Brazil is already hosting the 2014 World Cup. Two major events with in 2 years of each other would be too much for Brazil to handle in my opinion. Also isn't there a not so secret deal between the Unted States, The IOC and NBC to have the Summer Games in North America every 5 games.

1996 Atlanta

2000 Sydney

2004 Athens

2008 Beijing

2012 London

2016 Chicago?

As a resident of suburban Chicago, I'm sorry if I'm not excited about this. I don't want to deal with the people.

Olympic Tourism is vastly overrated. In fact most cities hosting the games actually see a decrease in tourism in the year they host. Plus the games also don't necessarily bring in tourism after the games, example is Sydney is just now getting back to their pre-2000 tourism levels (although 9-11's impact on air travel has more to do with that drop than the Olympics).

The Olympics are the biggest scam going. People bitch about public money building stadiums for local teams but at least that is going to be used regularly for years. With the Olympics a city spends billions of dollars and the games are there and gone in 2 weeks. Both London and Chicago's plan is to build a 90,000 seat stadium and then knock most of it down afterward because there is no need for it.

America has had enough Olympics for the time being. I like the idea of Rio having it. I'd like to see there Opening Ceremony.

I went to Sydney as a 10year old and thoroughly enjoyed it as did everyone there. We love our sport. Best two weeks of my life.

America can wait till after 2030 for there next one. We wont get another one till like 2046.

If Chicago does not get the games in 2016, then it should be NYNY 2020

BRING BASEBALL BACK TO MONTREAL!!!!

MON AMOURS SIEMPRE!!

America has had enough Olympics for the time being. I like the idea of Rio having it. I'd like to see there Opening Ceremony.

I went to Sydney as a 10year old and thoroughly enjoyed it as did everyone there. We love our sport. Best two weeks of my life.

America can wait till after 2030 for there next one. We wont get another one till like 2046.

Why?

Why?

Obviously he wants his tax burden to increase.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I didn't see the Polish flag or the coat of arms of Warsaw in the signature logo, so how representative of Chicago can it be? ;)

I will say that if this summer's Olympics had been in Chicago, there would be a TON of tourism from around the world. By 2016, the Euro will have cycled back downward and the US dollar will have rebounded, thus eliminating a lot of the European tourism that would have been seen this year.

Can't see the 2046 games coming to Australia somehow ;)

Summer games will be 2028, 2032, ... 2044, 2048. Although your years would work for winter.

Obviously I meant after that time. 2046 i waas plucking a year out of the air.

Rio for 2016.

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

Why?

September 11th, duh Raps...come on, man.

:P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Well to set the record straight, as of now the only potential bids in North America for 2020 are Birmingham (not buying that BS at all), Boston, Twin Cities, Monterrey, and Toronto. Other than that the headliners seem to be Rome, Copenhagen, Istanbul, Lima, Delhi, Busan, Budapest, and Kuala Lampur. In that case I wouldn't exactly bet against Rome, especially if Chicago wins 2016.

Well to set the record straight, as of now the only potential bids in North America for 2020 are Birmingham (not buying that BS at all), Boston, Twin Cities, Monterrey, and Toronto. Other than that the headliners seem to be Rome, Copenhagen, Istanbul, Lima, Delhi, Busan, Budapest, and Kuala Lampur. In that case I wouldn't exactly bet against Rome, especially if Chicago wins 2016.

As for concept, place the rings inbetween Chicago and 2016, plus keep the 4 stars of the city's flag.

The ICO did give report cards on the finalist; look them up to read how Chicago really stacks up.

http://www.olympic.org/uk/news/olympic_new..._uk.asp?id=2591

Plus former USOC chairman and LAOOC CEO Peter Ueberroyh recently said this to the Sports Business Daily:

How critical is 2016 to the future health of the United States Olympic movement?

Ueberroth: It?s very important. I don?t think it?s critical. I think it?s more critical to the IOC than it is to us.

Why?

Ueberroth: It?s not that the Games haven?t been here in a long time, it?s that they haven?t really been in a major market in the United States. By major market, I?m talking about a place where major companies are located. Chicago and New York are the two spots where you really have a lot of sponsors. You can start down our roster with United Airlines and McDonald?s and so on.

Meanwhile, today United agreed to be a sponsor to 2012 (while furloughing 1,200 flight attendants this same week)

Istanbul bids every time as it is basically law. plus too soon and close to Athens.

Going to India when the nation has more people who are homeless than not isn;t going to instantly build housing via Olympic Villages.

KL is a nice choice, but the summers are hot and is too close to Beijing in time and location.

Lima is an option if they really have their act together, but the IOC's ratings won't come out for multiple years.

I would suggest visiting gamesbids.com to discuss such long range items.

Reported Future Summer Games Bids

Got my sig!

Since I live in Racine (just an hour away from Chicago), I'd LOVE it to go there (would be a HUGE boom in tourism & revenue for us, especially if we FINALLY get that light rail thing in!)

bYhYmxh.png

As a resident of suburban Chicago, I'm sorry if I'm not excited about this. I don't want to deal with the people.

Olympic Tourism is vastly overrated. In fact most cities hosting the games actually see a decrease in tourism in the year they host. Plus the games also don't necessarily bring in tourism after the games, example is Sydney is just now getting back to their pre-2000 tourism levels (although 9-11's impact on air travel has more to do with that drop than the Olympics).

The Olympics are the biggest scam going. People bitch about public money building stadiums for local teams but at least that is going to be used regularly for years. With the Olympics a city spends billions of dollars and the games are there and gone in 2 weeks. Both London and Chicago's plan is to build a 90,000 seat stadium and then knock most of it down afterward because there is no need for it.

OK, how about as an employee of a major beer company, I don't want to deal with the advertising side of the olympics.... :D

rams3_zps8ezugnuj.jpg

NYC for the Olympics? Doubt it. There just simply isn't enough room, unless most activity takes place outside of the city. Then I don't think it would be the same.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

NYC for the Olympics? Doubt it. There just simply isn't enough room, unless most activity takes place outside of the city. Then I don't think it would be the same.

New York was a finalist for the 2012 games, I thought they had a solid plan, but going up against London, Paris, Madrid, and Moscow isn't exactly the easiest thing to do.

Personally, I like the sig better with just the two stars. Yes the Chicago flag has 4 but it looks too packed together for me.

73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

29, 30, 31, 36, 39, 44, 61, 62, 65, 66, 67, 96, 10

New York was a finalist for the 2012 games, I thought they had a solid plan, but going up against London, Paris, Madrid, and Moscow isn't exactly the easiest thing to do.

The only thing that really stopped them, was that they couldn't get their damned stadium together.

You know, I rarely visit ccslsc anymore. I really should fix that.

Archived